Understanding Dwarf trait appearance in Kits

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello,
I got a new purebred netherland dwarf buck and for the first time I'm getting peanuts.
So now that the babies are getting older I'm a little concerned about some odd apearance issues but let me paint you a picture in words and photos.

I started my foray into dwarf breeds with some lionhead and netherland dwarf mixes. I quickly started fighting with maloclusion issues so I brought in new blood from a quality show level breeder. I got my handsome white buck:
IMG_E1102[1].JPG

I also rescued two intact Netherland Dwarf sisters who appear to be a false dwarf and a true dwarf. And I kept my full lionhead doe. None of the malloclusion mutts stayed in the breeding group.

So the first litter in this new set was the false dwarf doe to the buck. She had 6 kits, they died off 1 by 1. No idea why, they were in a nest and she fed them but they slowly all died on me.

Next is the true dwarf and the lionhead moms. TD was first time mom LH is very experienced and has had probably 4 very succesful litters.
IMG_E3342[1].JPG
This is Nola the LH nesting 2 years ago.

But here's the thing, TD had 3 babies and they all look totally normal and developing great.
(pictures coming maybe tomorrow)

LH had 3 born alive and the peanut died on day 5. But now what i would assume are 1 TD and 1 FD babies look like little water balloons or full ticks ALL OF THE TIME. At first I just thought everynight when I checked them they had just fed and were just gluttons. But after a few days of that I started checking them throughout the day and they are ALWAYS super wide.
IMG_1861[1].PNG
this photo is from 5 days ago. And despite the size difference seen here, the peanut was that much smaller again but apparently I never took a photo of it.
And here is the TD kit today:
IMG_1859[1].JPG
he just seems weird shaped!

I'll have to get photos of the TD mom and her babies later and add them, apparently I haven't taken any photos weirdly.

Sooooo
What's going on here, any ideas?

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
IMG_1863[1].JPG
IMG_1865[1].JPG
IMG_1866[1].JPG

His little feets turn in and he's widder than he is tall and dare I even say wider than he is long! If he hadn't had an even smaller peanut sibling I would think he was one!

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
IMG_1901[1].JPG
Nola (LH) with her two teletuby babies
IMG_1903[1].JPG
Laila (FD) bigger sister - lost all her 6 kits
IMG_1888[1].JPG
Mia (TD) smaller sister, with one of her 3 normal looking kits, same age as teletubies
IMG_1884[1].JPG
Another one of Mia's normal looking kits.

Latest posts