Unexpected goo, pics

raeleigh26

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
20160310_145708.jpg
Maggie was coming in on Monday, Harley jumped the fence and I'm pretty sure I caught it just as it happened. She didn't stand, but I waited anxiously for some sign that she didn't get bred. Too early. [br]Yesterday she had bloody show, not a lot though. ..[br]My vet thought last month's bloody show was excessive and she might have issues due to her hard calving and losing the calf. She birthed on her own, first calf, just took long enough the calf died. [br]I think she had just laid down and the blood had pooled and we saw it all at once, she was clean 2 hours later. [br]Anyway, I noticed yesterday and today she was holding her tail out a lot, not constantly, but noticeably, and just caught her laying down with this light brownish, pinkish cloudy discharge. [br]Is this normal after estrous? Or do you think there's an infection, or maybe she got bred?
She also has clear watery eyes today, (but she's burying her head deep in the hay bale. ..)
I thought she might have been off her feed yesterday and day before, she ate, with encouraging, and seemed she didn't want to eat if she'd have to nurse her foster of 3 months. ... Idk. Ate normally today.
The only pic I could get before she got up doesn't show the but that's more cloudy, whitish, thicker, but still slimy, not curdish ..
I'm at a loss and can't find anything online.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Doubt that she got bred if she didn't stand for him. Often there will be a bloody show after a cow ovulates. This slime looks quite normal for a cow that's several months post partum. I would quit worrying.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Perhaps didn't clean out as well as she should have after last month's calving, but if that picture is the only evidence or reference I wouldn't get too worried. You can take her temp and if high, consult your vet again if you think infection is present, tho I would think by now, if that were the case she would be showing more signs than a small discharge.

Just curious--how long did her previous (unsuccessful) calving take?