Unexplained hair loss in goats

moenmitz

Just born
Reaction score
Our four Boer does are all experiencing varying degrees of hair loss, restricted to their face & ears, most noticeably their muzzle. It does not seem to match up to the symptoms of ringworm, lice or mange. They do not seem to be itchy, not scratching it at all, but the area is apparently sensitive as they dislike any touching or petting of their face now, as well as a halter. There are no scabs or crusting, just noticeably thinning hair...on one just a bit, on another, almost no hair left around her nose. I am wondering if there might be a nutritional factor at play? All four are (hopefully) pregnant, though not confirmed, so I want to proceed cautiously with any treatment. Any ideas?

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Could be mites or a mineral deficiency. What kind of minerals do you give them?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Could they be rubbing the hair off on the hay feeder / through the fence while grazing? Almost all of mine are bald on their noses b/c we have 4" square holes in the hay feeders.

ETA: If it is a mite, Ivermectin given orally at 1 cc per 30# is USUALLY quite safe, even w/ preggos. I've given it daily to a preggo who got a severe case of leg mites.

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sounds like Lice or Mites to me as it causes this and a good wormer or a dusting of Sevin dust should take care of it. If not its minerals. Also dust the bedding area.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like mites... you could add some DE to their bedding and dusting with Sevin (sparingly) will help. Tea Tree oil and water maybe 1 teaspoon in a quart and wash the effected area. Scabies mites can affect humans, as well.