Unexplained intestinal cysts - Have you ever seen this before? (graphic picture)

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you, @Beekissed ! I think I have a (laywoman’s) diagnosis! The article you posted lists “pimply gut:”
  • Pimply gut is a condition where there are lumps in the gut that range from pinpoint to pea size. It occurs in cattle and sheep intestines as a result of the nodular intestinal worm
  • This is not harmful to people, but can lead to condemnation of the intestines
which lead me here: https://animalhealthaustralia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/NSHMP-Knotty-Gut.pdf

So, I think my sheep's cysts were caused by the nodule worm (Oesphagostomum columbianum).
I'll post back here if fecals confirm its presence, or suggest a more likely culprit, in my flock. Thank you, everyone!

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Belated Update: full-flock fecal tests showed some worm load, with three scores of 0/g, the two youngest lambs scoring 50/g, their mother showing 225/g, and another ewe showing 125/g. Diarrhea was possibly a temporary result of switching to richer pasture. Will work on controlling worms and improving general body condition among the ewes.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use Garlic Barrier as a deterrent or maintenance. But for heavy counts, I use the chemical wormers.

click on garlic for sheep

Latest posts