1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Newest Additions <3 Valentines Day Presents! - Celebrating Valentines Day for this week.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Uninvited visitor

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Carla D, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Jan 10, 2019
    Carla D

Carla D True BYH Addict

That’s what I’m thinking as well. It’s also pretty brazen to come that close to the barn doors. My only hope is, if it’s not a domesticated critter, that it’s bigger than our large farm cats. Hopefully they’d be too big to squeeze into the barn.

Rammy likes this.
  2. Jan 10, 2019
    Carla D

Carla D True BYH Addict

@Rammy , how would I keep any of our three farm cats from tripping the trap? Is it possible?

Rammy likes this.
  3. Jan 10, 2019
    Rammy

Rammy Herd Master Golden Herd Member

They might go in but what I did, and it worked, was if I caught one of my barn cats in a trap, Id douse them with water an soak them down in the trap, then let them go. They wouldnt go near the trap after that.
    It also made sure that anyone else who put out a trap wouldnt catch one of my cats and dispose of it.

4. Jan 10, 2019
    Carla D

Carla D True BYH Addict

That does sound harsh and drastic. But I bet you and nobody else will ever catch any of your farm cats in that type of trap.

Rammy likes this.
  5. Jan 10, 2019
    Rammy

Rammy Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Since Ive done that not one of my barn cats will go in it. Thats the reason I did it. There are people here that arent nice to animals and I dont want one of mine getting hurt by them. This makes them wary of a trap and not get them in a vunerable position. Yeah, its mean, but it works.

6. Jan 16, 2019
    Tonya Morrison

Tonya Morrison Just born

7. Jan 16, 2019
    Tonya Morrison

Tonya Morrison Just born

We shot (relocated) a 40 pound Bore coon.
    Size is important, but densidies and moisture in various sand or dirt can also help identify size. I'm an idiot. But I think it's a heavy coon.

B&B Happy goats and Rammy like this.
  8. Jan 16, 2019
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

Not opossum and not raccoon. I vote for canine, could be domestic or coyote.

9. Jan 16, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Herd Master

Unless you can show more than 2 prints, I don't see any indication of walking or four legs. The prints look more like a very large bird would make.

So, in addition to something to judge actual size, any walking pattern?

10. Jan 16, 2019
    Carla D

Carla D True BYH Addict

I believe it was my SIL domesticed but ill behaved basset hound. Both of her dogs escaped the house that afternoon. I finally had the opportunity to ask her if one or both got loose on her. They had. So that is a relief to know it wasn’t any bada** wildlife getting that close to the doors of the barn. We do have a few coyotes that hang out about 100 yards away from the barn though as well. That’s a bit unnerving to me. The pigs may be enough to keep them away from the barn. I hope.

I was unable to get a complete set of four tracks the sand has only been randomly spread on the icy driveway to reduce the risk of falling and help our vehicles stop before hitting the front of the barn.

Rammy and B&B Happy goats like this.