University of Aberdeen review of Alternative Wormer - Very interesting

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/organic/organic_14a.php

This is a multi page report on mostly various herbal style worming agents or compounds. They do touch on some other things like DE, etc.

And most of it is in handy chart form so it's not like reading a medical text.

And here is the link to their organic agriculture site if you wanted to look at anything else.

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/organic/

goodgirlmolly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That is fantastic info!!!!!!! Thanks for posting!

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, I have been researching herbal wormer alternatives lately.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Keep in mind that a lot of the info in that report is citation not results of tests performed. Still useful though.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found this site when I was first researching my sheep and have utilized a few of the methods for the past two+ years with wonderful results.

The breeder from whence I got my sheep lives in my area and has his sheep on the same kind of pasture as mine...but he uses Ivermectin and other dewormers. My sheep outshine any he has for pure condition and general health...and he even admits this himself.

One doesn't have to have a method tested in a lab to try it out at home and have great success. People like to call that purely anecdotal evidence. Who cares? If it works, it works.

Lab testing takes funding. I can't imagine anyone out there is shelling out big funding for lab tests on something one doesn't have to BUY. :rolleyes:

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wasn't saying it wasn't still valid information. Remember I'm the one that posted the link :) Obviously I believed it has merit.

Just clarifying as the report looks great and I wanted to make sure that someone looking at it for the first time didn't cite it as proven testing, etc. It appears to be citations from other papers, books, articles and such.

Again, still valid information just making sure it wasn't tossed into the herbal/chemical debate as proof.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
As I don't consider any information on the chemical side of the debate as "proof", I never really considered this info as proof either.

Proof is what I see, not what I read or hear about from someone. I stand by that old adage "Never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see." :p

If I read something I like, I may apply it. If it works consistently, I will consider that as proof enough for me and my livestock.

I have seen enough use of chemicals by those close to me to know that they are not proven to work consistently, no more than all herbal recommendations.