Unknown ram breed

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
EE8CFAB6-A27F-431E-9B80-061CAD17D105.jpeg

So I picked this yearling ram up yesterday and I have no idea what breed he is. Basically my wife loved him and had to have at least one with color, but I got him from an auction load and the gentleman didn’t know but we thought he might be some sort of hair cross. He has a longer tail, but it’s thin. Does anyone have a clue what he could be?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Katahdin. From the picture, he looks to not be a cross breed. The mane he's sporting is a Katahdin trait. Long thin tail is a hair sheep characteristic. He should shed out the dead looking wool on his back. Mine don't shed real good, I pluck them sometimes. The sheep lot can look like a pillow stuffing factory exploded. LOL

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Baymule thank you! That is too perfect. I mentioned a while back in my herd journal that I’d like a katahdin ram because I was interested in the benefits of hair sheep but I’d never really had a close encounter with a katahdin and could only go off of pictures I’d seen online of bulkier, much lighter colored ram than little Shaun there ( my daughter named him after one of her favorite shows, Shaun the sheep).