Unplanned pregnancy!

MiniSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I got my first sheep a couple of months ago. They are year old Shetland sheep and are twin sisters. We were told they were not bred when we got them, but the other day we found out that one of them was! After talking with a vet yesterday, we decided that she had ketosis. Yesterday, she was always able to stand but seemed lethargic and had muscle tremors. After giving her propylene glycol this afternoon and evening, she still has a few muscle tremors but is eating, drinking, and has energy. So I guess my questions are...
1) Should I be concerned that her lambs (probably twins) were jeopardized?
2) Can sheep come out of having ketosis without any lasting effects?
3) Should I be doing anything else to help her (she is eating hay now and I am giving her propylene glycol)
4) Considering the time of year and that her udder is bagged up, when should I expect that she will lamb?
Thank you!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have sheep... so no help...

but wow that sounds like too much excitement. Welcome to BYH! I am sure a sheep person will be along in the morning to help you out.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ketosis is pretty common in sheep. It is more common in sheep that are carrying multiple lambs. I do not have much experience with smaller breeds like shetlands, but we have had it often in the dorsets.
1) there should be no lasting affects to the lambs. It is the drain on the ewe's system and she is usually the only showing the effects.
2)The ewes don't usually have any real lasting affects if you can keep up their nutrition level. There isn't alot of room in there for them to really eat enough so the pregnancy is pulling nutrition from the muscles and even the bones. That is why she got wobbly, it is the obvious affect of the body pulling reserves from the muscles.
3) Are you giving her grain? She needs an increase in nutrient intake, but not so much that she gets an overbalance. I don't know how much the smaller breeds eat, but she should be getting some grain. We start to add alfalfa hay to our Dall ewes about 1 month before lambing and continue it for at least a month after the last one has lambed. Higher protein and there are trace minerals/vitamins in alfalfa due to the way it has such an extensive root system and can "mine" the soil. We will feed about 1/2 sq bale to about 20 ewes a day. Not alot, but they all get a little and it seems to tip the balance with them getting extra nutrition.
It will not hurt the other lamb to get it if you decide to add it to their diet. I would think that a leaf (section) or even only part of a leaf of alfalfa should really help.
4) If she is uddering up then lambs should be close. They do not usually udder up too far in advance.

This is also a reason to be very careful when you have lambs that you band the ram lambs at day old. They become very active at anything over 3 months. Both the males and females. Since we raise our dall sheep for their horns, we do not band the rams. We have had 4 month old ram lambs breed back the adult sheep and not realized it until we get some surprise babies. I think that the smaller breeds tend to become more sexually mature at younger ages.
I can think of several jersey (cow) heifers that have started showing heats before 8 months and a one that got bred while still sucking her momma, and I had to abort her so that it wouldn't kill her to calve at 14 months.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, you ( she!) and her unborn lambs should be fine, BUT you must give her supplementary food. Over here we use 'ewe nuts'...18% protein, oils etc. and also (for groups of pregnant ewes), ewe & lamb 'lick'....contains molasses, oils,vitamins and minerals. Start with small amounts and build up, then keep her on supplements for about 4-6 weeks after birth whilst she is lactating heavily.

If your weather is very cold right now a spell indoors will reduce her calorie requirements and keep her out of ketosis.

I've had several unplanned pregnancies in young ewes this year due to a very athletic ram belonging to my neighbour. I've also (like farmerjan) had 4 month old ram lambs manage to impregnate tall adult ewes.

Good Luck

MiniSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for everybody's help and support! She is looking better now but I will try to give her some more nutritional intake. It looks like the lambs are close to being born! What a hectic but exciting learning experience:)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to use the propoleyne glycol to keep the energy levels up. Not saying she needs it by the gallon, but to just help support her at this point. Any extra feed you can get in her, that is higher in protein, 18 to 24% will help also. Looking forward to hearing how she is doing, and hoping for a successful lambing. Small and a set of twins or trips would be better than one big one....

Latest posts