Unplanned pregnancy!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
what they said...... If you don't have them on a sheep mineral, then offer them some. I give my ewes sheep mineral, dolomite lime and Azomite rock dust. The lambs eat up the Azomite, mineral and dolomite, in that order. The ewes hit it all pretty heavy while pregnant and lactating, then slack off.

I originally bought the Azomite for the garden. Then I saw lambs licking dirt from a fresh gopher hill, so offered them the Azomite. They really dug in and I have kept it out for the sheep ever since.

http://azomite.com/

This is the dolomite that I buy at Lowes, but any dolomite lime will do.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Timberline...MIxp6__7Pj2gIVFdRkCh1JigrmEAQYAiABEgKcgfD_BwE

MiniSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The ewe is acting completely normal now other than labored and quick breathing. She still has her wool on and the weather reached 70 degrees today. Could she be hot, is this a symptom of ketosis, or is she getting ready to lamb?
Thanks again for all the help!

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
She could be hot, I'm a big fan of temperature taking to make sure they don't have fevers (over 103 or so). There will be other more obvious symptoms as she gets ready to lamb--pawing the ground, finding a secluded spot, standing up and laying down again, pre-contractions where she kind of spasms and looks at her back end. Ketosis she will be a lot more lethargic and "glazed-eyed," not eating. About to lamb she will be a little concentrated and frantic. If that makes sense. How is she this morning?

MiniSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That makes total sense! Thank you for the help:) I will take her temp today. She looks like she is breathing slower this morning and still no signs of lambing yet...

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome! You came to the right place for help! We have some really great Sheeple here. Please add at least your general location to your profile as climate may have bearing on recommendations/suggestions. Make yourself at home and browse around. There's a wealth of info in the various threads. Glad to have to with us. Good luck with the soon to happen lambing and hope the ewe does fine and recovers fully!

MiniSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
D5D69949-9044-4958-BFE4-BC5C2B4E85CE.jpeg C10FDB9B-A9FD-4F7D-81F7-64D996D6F18A.jpeg The ewe is doing great and had a single ram lamb last night. Both are happy and healthy as of now!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to see that she lambed and that both ewe and lamb are doing good. It is really better for her at this point that she has only one to feed. I was concerned for the size of the lamb if it was a single, being too big for her to easily have it.
Welcome to the world of sheep in a hurry!!!!!!!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Congrats! As Bay would say, you are now a Lamby Mammy :D Since it's a ram lamb, have you made any decisions as to future for him?

Latest posts