Unruly calf

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This a common problem with trying to make "pets" out of cattle or other livestock. You would be wise to get her to respect you ASAP, or someone will get hurt. If she were mine, I'd get an electric "hotshot" and use it only when she's being ornery. She will quickly get he message, and hopefully the problem will be resolved. BUT---Use this hotshot sparingly, or you will wind up with a wild calf.

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If she is spoiled it may very well be , she doesn't think you belong there. Perhaps your mother and sister could start by introducing you to her and assisting you with the aggressiveness . I don't know anything about cows , but I do believe that hitting , and kicking her may ( at her age ) make her resent you more. (IMO) if your sister , your mom and you play nicely nice with her and let her know you belong there and mean her no harm. The possibilities could be endless.
:love:hugs:love:hugs:love

MDres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
OP, have you ever observed a herd of cattle at a water tank, or feed trough, or round bale?

THEY ARE NOT NICE TO ONE ANOTHER!

Cattle behavior is ROUGH - they push and shove each other. It is called a pecking order. The ONLY way you are going to be "in charge" in that heifer's eyes is for you to push HER around. Make her move her feet, make her back off away from you. Use whatever means you need to - whack her hard, use a hot shot, whatever you want. She doesn't need to fear you, but she needs to respect you.

If you play "nicey nice" you are going to end up in the ER.

MDres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Also, in my limited experience, heifers that are cycling (in heat) and are alone can sometimes sorta lose their minds for a few days. They get kinda "flirty" with whatever they can, so they get a bit rough. Once the heat cycle passes, they settle back down. So even if your sister's heifer does learn to respect you, she may get a little crazy once in a while.

I had one that LOVED my neon-orange wheelbarrow once a month. Seriously. For a few days, I could not clean stalls and push the wheelbarrow thru her pasture to the manure pile. She would come running and whack it with her head, and even try to mount it. But once that part of her cycle passed, she was back to normal and ignored the wheelbarrow for another 28 days. I just didn't clean stalls for those 2 days...

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My bad:hide I thought it was 1 single yearling that little sis owned and mom thought was funny. :duc

MDres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, their skin is tough. Think shoe leather. And saddles, bridles, belts, etc. They are also used to being shoved around by other cattle, even if she has been raised alone, it is still instinct.

You could try one of those baffle-bat thingies that I've seen used to show pigs. They look sorta like a plastic canoe paddle, and some of them I've seen filled with beads or something so they make noise. If you whacked her with it, it wouldn't hurt, but it would likely startle her, which would make her back off. Just don't push it to the point that she fears you, because then you've created another problem, where she will do anything to escape your presence, or charge you if she can't get away.

Are you hollering at her and waving your arms?

MDres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's sounding like it is hot shot time....

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
And make sure you are forcing her to move backwards and you are always moving forward to further establish dominance--the follow-through, if you will. If you hit then move back away from her that is defeating the whole purpose of getting her to respect you.

There are a few other tricks to use, like ear-twisting and some others I can't think off-hand.

Latest posts