Unruly calf

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you can use the method they use on horses with the same problem...sort of lunge her a little and make her move out from the herd until she shows signs of submission?

There's a member here that has longhorn riding steers that could probably tell you exactly how to handle a cow like that...can't remember their name, though. They seem to be very good at training cattle and dealing with cow behavior.

Lulu

Just born
Reaction score
Whacking, I don't believe will help, but tying her up or making her stay in a stall while you do your business would help.Where is your sister when her 'pet' is threatening you?
My husband knows more about cattle than I do, he's worked with them all his life, I'll ask him tomorrow, I do know there's always a 'hotshot' around. Maybe your sister should take over your chores that puts you in with the cow, if the cow can't see how other cows act around humans, she thinks it's a free for all, I sure wouldn't want to be around if she's ever bred, they get really protective of their calves, our's just watches us and everything that enters the field, but these cows are bred until they don't and then it's hamburger time. They are handled quite a bit with all the shots, and everything that needs to be done to them. Rough business. I just watched for the first time a few months ago, males being cut and marked, the sack is sliced open, testes removed, disinfectant slapped on, (I'm not sure if they're staped or what, I'll ask,) meanwhile someone is at the other end cutting chunks out of both ears so you can tell from a distance who's been cut...I'm a city girl, grossed me out, but that's the way it's done, so I don't much think you're going to hurt her.

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You mom needs to wake up, it is not funny in the least that calf is butting you around. You could get seriously hurt and even killed. I don't know how old you are but it looks like you are going to have to take care of yourself young. Anyway, I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not but maybe a squirt gun loaded with lemon juice might get her attention. Better yet HOT lemon juice. Your mom should be ashamed of herself and send that calf she and sis spoiled to the freezer. I can't believe you are getting tossed through the air and everyone is more worried about the calf. It's a pity the calf was spoiled but now that she has butted you around a few times I don't think she will ever be trustworthy and she is only going to get bigger. I wish I had a son like you. You sound like a hard worker and very responsible. Not too many kids would do their chores if they had to be gored by the livestock!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just read this thread. I had a Longhorn bull that liked to charge at me. I got a piece of 3/4" galvanized pipe and took a "batter up" stance. When he got to me, I whacked him just above the nose as hard as I could, then quickly stepped aside. And the chasing thing works good too. When you got 'em on the run, make ''em run some more. Finally got rid of him, he kept jumping the fence and getting out on the road.

elbesta

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I worked for I guy years ago that had cattle. We had just finished building new pens, 5 rail 2x10s, we were putting a very large cow in the squeeze chute to be AI. Her head went through and I pulled down on the lever, she pushed through and lifted me off the ground. Then she thought she could jump the new fence and broke 3 of the 5 2x10s and started running for the road. We did get her turned around but we could not get her back in the pen. We got her in an area that was about 10 ft wide and 50 ft long, milking barn on one side and fence on the other. Dale was very mad by now and that cow was too, standing there stomping her foot like a bull. Dale picked up a 2x4 about 4 ft long, he looked at her, said a few bad words, she charged, WHACK , hit her right above her nose, she shook her head backed up a few feet, stomped here foot again and charged. Another WHACK, this time she staggered a bit and then she walked over to the hole she had made in the fence went in and stood by the chute. After that I could lead here around anywhere.

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, they are pretty tough. Never expect to be able to make an influence on them with your hand--you'll hurt your hand far more than them. Use discipline but not to the extent it's abuse or cruelty. A cattle prod is not much different than a good elec fence, and once used a couple of times, you just use the prod as you would a sorting stick without even activating the charge--MOST of the time. Depends on the animal's "personality" and it's size. I have seen a very few where that jolt will result in them coming right into your face. Krazy Cow.