Unstable sheep

Hawaiianhighlandsfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey guys it's been a while since ive posted cuz things with my ewe have been going pretty good. Until today! She is doing things ive never seen before. My husband just told me she got into the cracked corn and went to town. So now im thinking its bloat. I drenched her with olive oil and she was able to stand up but she is really unstable on her feet. She also may be preggers so now im worried about a spontaneous abortion. Shes panting really bad and her stomach looks like she is contracting. I dont know what to do but just watch her and pray.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Ummm depending on how much corn, yes, bloat is probable. There are some threads here regarding bloat, with goats and sheep and I believe they are similar. You might do a search and see. Mean time I'll tag some Sheeple and hope maybe they can help you. Hope she makes it!

@Sheepshape @purplequeenvt @norseofcourse @mysunwolf @SheepGirl And I know there are others I just can't recall right now.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score

Niki Forsyth

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I wish I could help you. I'll be praying for a quick recovery!!

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen with my ewe lily, and unfortunatly we ended losing her. That being said she had acces to the corn overnight and she was already down when I got to her. Has she been burping at all? You may need to have the vet puncture her rumen to release the gas pressure. Make sure she has access to water and dont feed her anymore. You may want to try a baking soda mixture, I have used it many times before. I wish you the best of luck :hugs

Hawaiianhighlandsfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well it was definitely bloat. Drenched her with olive oil and it seems to have passed. I have got to get her pinned up better. I just feel so bad because she's all alone. Going to try really hard the next few months to find her some friends. And we are definitely getting her fencing. She's been free range since her brothers died but it's time to get her safely in a better pasture area. Hopefully we are out of the woods with this bloat incident. Thanks for the links @norseofcourse .

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well it was definitely bloat. Drenched her with olive oil and it seems to have passed. I have got to get her pinned up better. I just feel so bad because she's all alone. Going to try really hard the next few months to find her some friends. And we are definitely getting her fencing. She's been free range since her brothers died but it's time to get her safely in a better pasture area. Hopefully we are out of the woods with this bloat incident. Thanks for the links @norseofcourse .
Im glad she's feeling better!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Whew! You dodged that bullet! Hope you can get another sheep soon so she can have a friend.