UP DATE KITS ARE HERE!i cant wait for these babies day 30 tomorrow

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Both of the parents appear to be some type of tricolor (combination of harlequin and broken patterns); some of the babies clearly show harlequin patterning.

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The parents look to be a broken black/broken magpie (the doe/mom) and maybe a broken lynx (buck/dad) based on your description and how it looks. I'd need closer pics to be able to tell better.

Going from left to right:
Charlie Tri-color? (charlie for sure, questionable tri-color); charlie or broken black; tri-color (possibly charlie, can't see most of the body); broken black, harlequin, broken black.

Charlies are very lightly marked brokens. They carry 2 copies of the broken gene, so when bred to a solid rabbits, the kits will all be broken. The way you normally tell charlies apart from broken is due to the lack of colour throughout their whole body, and when you breed them to a solid.

leanneellison1979

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
you are right about the buck and doe. they both have 3 colours on them, buck is white orange and blue and doe is mainly white with shades of blue with little bits of orange. i bought them together as 2 males so i think they are brother and sister. thanks for the opinions on the kit colours xx one of the kits looks a bit thinner than the rest today, (1st one on the left)

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another lesser-known feature of Charlies is a thing known as "reduced gut motility" - in other words, their digestive systems run slower than those of solid patterned animals (single-copy brokens have this problem too, but the difference is so small, it's pretty much a non-issue). Any rabbit can develop G.I. stasis (basically, the digestive system shuts down completely), but Charlies are particularly prone to it. You need to be extremely careful with the diet of a Charlie to make sure things keep moving on through; G.I. stasis will kill the rabbit if you can't get things moving again. For this reason, most responsible breeders don't do broken to broken breedings. You can often see a difference in the poop - normal rabbit droppings are round, slightly flattened, and all pretty much the same size. The droppings of a Charlie are irregular both in,size and shape

leanneellison1979

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i hope its ok trust my son pick the smallest one to be his. if your right its a charlie he chose exactly what he wanted, he said he wants the whitest one out of them all lol.. and he picked it when they were 2 hours old. god he will be heart broke if it dies.

leanneellison1979

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
7 days old and all doing great so far. colours are coming out better now too
forum 7 days.JPG
forum 6.JPG

leanneellison1979

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
bunnylady and jake m you were both right about the tri colour harliquin kits, everyone of them has 3 colours on now xx 9 days old today and one has started opening its eyes, all are feeding well nowforum9.JPG forum 9.JPG