UP DATE KITS ARE HERE!i cant wait for these babies day 30 tomorrow

leanneellison1979

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
my rabbit squiggles looks ready to pop. shes collected the hay and straw and pulled the fur on thursday and i know i shouldnt get too excited with her being a first time momma but i cant help it. im really hoping when i get up in the morning there are wriggly kits in this massive nest shes built. is there any signs apart from the nesting which would tell me shes ready to kindle. i really want to do a photo diary from her last day pregnant to them growing up. i am keeping them all too lol.. any advise is really welcome thankyou x

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
OH NO! :ep Rabbit math (strikes) too?!?!?! :th I'm Intimately familiar with chicken math :hide I hope over the next year or so to become acquainted with goat math :D Gotta post pics when you get them please!

leanneellison1979

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
day 30 and no kits yet but i can see movement in her stomach, looks like they are kicking and shes being very destructive this morning. if everything goes ok i will post pics when she has had them. ive got to book an appointment with the vet soon for the male ( willow my avatar) to have his bits and bobs chopped lol..

TheRabbitNewbee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You're keeping all of them? :epThat's a lot of rabbits! But then again, I keep all of mine too.:) In the freezer.

leanneellison1979

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
lol.. they are only dwarf lops (or mini in us ?) so i think she will only have a few, the litter size is around 3-5 i think 5 being large litter. ill keep them has pets though lol..

leanneellison1979

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
no lol.. they only weigh 6lb. well the pregnant one weight more now but they wont grow much more now they are 6 months old on the 7th. i couldnt keep 10 of them. i hope i havnt cursed myself now saying they normally only have a few. watch her have 5 or 6

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Rabbits generally have kits on day 31, so you have a just a touch longer to wait. Sometimes they'll go longer though (I've had a doe finally kindle on day 36). You just have to keep an eye on her.

2 more signs you can look for:
1) If the doe is bagging up (starting to produce milk). BUT, with a first time mom, she may not start really producing milk until day 2 or 3. She'll produce enough to feed the kits, but won't have any leftover to feel.
2) You may possibly be able to feel the teats more so than a doe who is dry and is not pregnant. A doe who is close to kindling (within a day or 2) should have teats that are (if not milk-filled) larger and firmer than the dry doe.

And yes, USA Mini Lop=UK Dwarf Lop.

leanneellison1979

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
its day 31 now and no kits just yet. they are really active inside her and shes not ate her food much, i will have a look at her teats. do they take longer to kindle if having bigger or smaller litters

Latest posts