[Update: Donkey is doing fine] Donkey seems to have ingested a small amount of plastic

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20171229_192129.jpg
20171229_192340.jpg
20171229_192353.jpg

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When I checked on the herd this evening, I discovered that the feed room had been left open since around noon. The wrapped and compressed bale of alfalfa had been pulled off the shelf and bitten open in two places. I did not find any scraps of plastic around that could be from the holes, so I am concerned that our donkey has plastic wrap scraps somewhere in his digestive system. Is this an urgent veterinary emergency? Since he didn't initially choke to death, should I be confident that whatever he may have swallowed will pass through? Thanks in advance for input!

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
While I didn't catch him red-hooved, so to speak, I am positive he is the culprit.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
if all he got ahold of was the little piece out of the top and chunk out of the side he should be ok. look around and see if he actually ate it or spit it out somewhere. just watch him for signs of colic for a few days but that amount shouldn't cause a blockage. bet you learned a good lesson about keeping things up where he can't get to it. good luck on the little guy, he's cute

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
read your 2nd post after I had sent mine. yes the famous feed room door. and i'm not joking. I lost a beautiful arab gelding that got into feed because my granddaughter forgot to lock the feed room. broke my heart. just watch the rascal he should be fine.

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you! I'm sorry to hear about your horse; that must have been devastating. I'll watch our Ringo carefully and hope for the best.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine was a goat...she survived but only because of a great vet and super intensive nursing. And a lot of prayers. I hope your little guy will be ok.

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Update: Ringo is eating, drinking, and passing droppings. Amongst the latter, I found one of the bites of plastic. I haven't found the other piece yet, but I think it will be alright.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update: Ringo is eating, drinking, and passing droppings. Amongst the latter, I found one of the bites of plastic. I haven't found the other piece yet, but I think it will be alright.

My baby gelding, when he was still a colt, found and ate about 8in of flagging tape. Didn't find it until he had pooped it out. Tons of good hay was his friend, helped brush it right on out.