update, good ending :) (pregnant ewe off feed... need advice)

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a 6 /7ish year old ewe who is pregnant (always has twins). Due sometime in the next month. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Diet- weedy pasture (although the pasture is quite dormant at the moment) and local grass hay. Free choice mineral and free choice salt.

So its been a odd week with her... this is what has happened so far.

Monday morning I went to the barn to let the sheep out. My older ewe (Salty) was foaming at the mouth (white foam and then green smelly foam a bit later), shaking, on her feet and looking quite grim. She didn't appear bloated, but it was dark and I was rushed. I tried looking down her throat for a stuck object- didn't see anything, but couldn't really see either. Treated for bloat (drenched with canola oil and baking soda dissolved in water) and I gave her nutridrench. She perked up quickly, and by mid day was eating again. Tues morning she was 95% normal looking. I gave her a little molasses. Wed morning she was back to 100%.

Wednesday I walked the pasture looking for poisonous plants and pulled up a few things I wasn't sure of.

Sunday morning, she's not eating, sunken sides, but still strong enough to need 2 people to drench her. I gave her a little molasses. Waited an hour... just gave her nutridrench 20 minutes ago. Still not eating, although she acts interested. No obvious signs of labor.

So, the odd part. Last night I called them in and she was super perky and happy. I refilled the mineral (it has been disappeared quickly this week) and gave them about a cup. She stood there and pretty much ate it all.

I have no idea whats happening. At first I thought bloat. Now I'm leaning more towards low blood sugar, and I do wonder if she's eating something weird in her pasture or if its from eating tons of mineral all week.

Any ideas?

I just thought I would bump this thread a little bit especially with people getting ready to lamb and kid in bigger numbers. Ketosis can be so ugly. people also need to watch for it after big multiple births I had to encourage lady about it who had a doe that had quads a couple weeks ago

Last edited:

hailehysen

Just born
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a 6 /7ish year old ewe who is pregnant (always has twins). Nox Vidmate VLC Due sometime in the next month. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Diet- weedy pasture (although the pasture is quite dormant at the moment) and local grass hay. Free choice mineral and free choice salt.

So its been a odd week with her... this is what has happened so far.

Monday morning I went to the barn to let the sheep out. My older ewe (Salty) was foaming at the mouth (white foam and then green smelly foam a bit later), shaking, on her feet and looking quite grim. She didn't appear bloated, but it was dark and I was rushed. I tried looking down her throat for a stuck object- didn't see anything, but couldn't really see either. Treated for bloat (drenched with canola oil and baking soda dissolved in water) and I gave her nutridrench. She perked up quickly, and by mid day was eating again. Tues morning she was 95% normal looking. I gave her a little molasses. Wed morning she was back to 100%.

Wednesday I walked the pasture looking for poisonous plants and pulled up a few things I wasn't sure of.

Sunday morning, she's not eating, sunken sides, but still strong enough to need 2 people to drench her. I gave her a little molasses. Waited an hour... just gave her nutridrench 20 minutes ago. Still not eating, although she acts interested. No obvious signs of labor.

So, the odd part. Last night I called them in and she was super perky and happy. I refilled the mineral (it has been disappeared quickly this week) and gave them about a cup. She stood there and pretty much ate it all.

I have no idea whats happening. At first I thought bloat. Now I'm leaning more towards low blood sugar, and I do wonder if she's eating something weird in her pasture or if its from eating tons of mineral all week.

Any ideas?
so she could be suffering from That usually causes a degree of "bubble blowing"which could indicate pneumonia.

Last edited:

Latest posts