Jasper----update

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We brought home a 10 week old buckling yesterday. He is SO thin! You can't tell he's that thin, until you put your hands on him. I just couldn't leave the little guy. You can feel every bone. Back bone, rib bones, hip bones. He is currently in the house, in a kennel.

We gave him a bath when we got home, then gave him ivomec for the lice. He is so tiny. The poor guy is just covered in lice. Checked him this morning, a lot of the lice are dead. However he still has alive lice on him. How much is really hard to tell because of how much is on him.

Here is pic of him during the bath, showing how bad the lice are. eye lids are light pink.

He is not use to people either, so we're giving him attention. He's just terrified.

My question is that with the infestation being so bad, will the first dose and a dose again in 10 days be enough?

20160917_150452[1].jpg

14393291_1107632009322374_2082054117_o.jpg

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lice are species specific. Poor little guy... :( I have only treated for lice once so not much help so I will leave this one up to the 'experts' .

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've not dealt with lice like this before, and when I do seem them the powder treatment usually knocks them out... got to do their bedding too at the same time. Good thing you took this little guy under your wing. He needs you!

What did you bathe him in? @Southern by choice has some great directions for dealing with lice. You could use the search function to find them... although I'd be surprised if she doesn't post here too.

Good luck with your baby. What did you name him? Go after one problem at the time... first the lice then work on why he's so thin -- could be he just needs a good meal.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Would shaving him help? I worry with him being so thin.

We just bathed him in dawn lemon dish soap. He stunk of the buck that he was in the pasture with.
I will go to the feed store tomorrow and get the powder.

Plan on getting rid of the lice first. He's got plenty of hay in the kennel with him. He's got grain in with him as well. However he has not touched the grain.

Thank you! We named him Jasper.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mites do cross over to other species.
Lice are species specific however....

Some kinds of lice will cross to other species. BUT- will not be able to live and thrive.
Sometimes the Goat louse will get on your livestock guardians but will not live on them. Keep that in mind. They may bite them, you but cannot live off you.

Personally on a severe infestation, like your guy has I would have bathed him (like you did) but would have added a mixed solution of permethrins. We use the Permethrins concentrate 10% mix with warm water according to instructions on label. we mix that with the soapy water and bathe completely. Rinse thoroughly then pour the remaining dip over the goat.
Let it drip off for as long as you can then towel dry.

The reason is because it is INSTANT. Especially for infestations. Alo depending on whether it is biting or sucking the injectables don't work on everything but topical does.

Since you already gave him an injection I would hesitate to use permethrins topically. You could treat in 10 days with either. The DE should work well though.
Get some Diatomaceous Earth and rub into his coat.
I do think if you can you'd be better off the shave him down.

If only a few are remaining you can still use the DE but you can take a cotton ball wet with mineral oil and dab it over and living louse. It will "stick" to the mineral oil on the cotton ball easily and then you can either soak in permethrin and dispose of or whatever.

His crate will need disinfected. If in your house put the DE around the outside of the crate.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would be afraid he would get cold, but if you keep him in the house might be OK. I have only had to treat once for lice so I am not an expert. I didn't shave my goats. Never have in fact!

Definitely needs a fecal ASAP. Kudos to you for taking him in. Breaks your heart doesn't it? Poor little guy.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely needs a fecal ASAP. Kudos to you for taking him in. Breaks your heart doesn't it? Poor little guy.

If owning goats long enough you will have lice and or mites at one time or another. It is part of having livestock.
Infestation can happen suddenly and it isn't always easy to get rid of.

Yes fecal is a must!