Jasper----update

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just got done shaving him. Cleaned out his kennel. Fresh hay down along with DE. I will get a fecal done asap. We're looking for a sweater for him. Thankfully i haven't shipped my daughters small clothes to my friend yet. So i'm grabbing sweaters out of the box for him.

He is SO thin! I felt him and knew it, but seeing it....... made me break down.
14374793_1108240439261531_1376811639_o.jpg
14393188_1108240509261524_809960888_o.jpg
14394052_1108240469261528_203083737_o.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
He does not look that thin.
Unless you are in a very cold place don't put a sweater on him.
He isn't a baby. He is 10 weeks and should be able to adjust.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
He would have died from anemia if you hadn't rescued him. That stuff makes me so mad. You can make sweaters out of sweatshirts too, time for a trip to the thrift store :)

He may get cold this winter without a coat since he is so skinny so I would start having a good supply of sweaters so you can swap them out all winter long. Not sure he would need one now, at least not during the day.

The poultry dust has always worked well for me.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I will keep the sweater put aside. Forecast says not below 50 all week. Will stock up for winter.

I can NOT stand to see a bony animal. I couldn't take working at the shelter after seeing what was okay. (like euthanizing an animal because she's pregnant and they don't want to deal with the puppies. Or another breed that the head LOVES allowing the puppies to be born.)

I don't know what a normal weight of a 10 week old ND should be. He's 9lbs.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:ep

Oh... my eyes must fail me then. I cannot see the pics too well.
9 lbs is small :(

From a post @Goat Whisperer shared on...
these twp were twins...
2 of my 11 1/2 week old Nigerian Dwarf kids weighed 22.4 & 26.2

also...

Now these 2 were quints and were under 2 lbs at birth... so at 5 1/2 weeks they were at this range. They were teeeeeny tiny at birth.
My 2 little girls from the quints litter are now 10 & 11lbs! They are growing quick!

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He's a small guy. He's got a surplus of hay in front of him and grain. I have seen him take 1 bite of the grain. He is constantly eating.
So he should be around 20+lbs right now?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you know how many were in his litter?
15lbd would be the smaller side for my goats. But they are piggys! Maybe @OneFineAcre will post what his kids would weigh at that time, they are all a little different.

I agree with what the others have said. He is thin, but you see his ribs so that is good.
Now that these issues are being taken care of, he'll gain weight in no time.

I understand seeing any animal in that condition is hard, but you need to mentally prepare yourself and not let it consume you. For example: one of your goats get a nasty bacterial gut infection. This goat was in perfect condition then within 24 hours the goat is a bag of bones due to the horrible, uncontrollable scours. That is how fast it happens. When a goat get sick, they can drop all their weight in 24 hours. This is part of livestock- at one point or another you are going to have on get very ill. Sometimes you can beat it, other times the goat dies. This can happen in a split second, no matter how hard you work to avoid it.
If you want to continue raising goats, you must be able to " flip the switch" in your brain to see it all from a clinical prospective. Its not to be callus or hardened, but this in the best interest for the goat.

We had a doe bust her scur, she lost a lot of blood. It looked like a horror movie and the goat would have died had I not seen her then. We couldn't get it stopped and rushed her to the vet.
Someone asked me how I could handle that without fainting, panicking, or becoming very overwhelmed. I said that if I had done any of those, the goat would be dead.

Same goes with a buck we lost to a twisted stomach. I had to be calm and do everything I can to save him. We ended losing him, and it wasn't until after he had passed I finally broke down and said my final goodbye. 30 minutes later I necropsing him with our vet.
If you want livestock you need to practice how to do this. Not saying this to be rude or snarky, but often times people get caught up in goats so much they then aren't treated as such.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He is a twin.

I completely understand what you're saying. I'm not a total emotional basket case. Seeing an animal in his condition does bother me, always will bother me.

I did read the whole post about your goat that was bleeding everywhere. It was really bad. You guys did an awesome job.

I can control myself and handle the situation at hand. It's also required to be a mom. Being able to check your emotions in a situation is needed not just for livestock. With my kids, or any kids really. Or a natural disaster.

I had to help euthanize animals at the shelter. Then putting them in a giant freezer. You can't have emotions as you're injecting an animal to kill them. Also seeing all the animals that came into the shelter in the condition they were in. You can't be emotional. It's just get down to business and do what has to be done. I completely understand that.

With Jasper it's a whole different situation. I have done everything I needed to do for him. We bathed him, treated him. He has food, grain and water. I cleaned his pen out, and shaved him. After shaving him, yes I did get emotional.

My husband is always there to remind me if i'm panicking to be calm and do what we need to do. His training in the USMC has taught him this. Which he instills in our children, and if I need reminding.

Fecal will be done asap. Calling vets tomorrow to see if any will do a fecal on a goat. If not i'll be mailing the fecal in.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He is doing great! Lice are all gone. He's being treated for Cocci.
He loves my youngest daughter. First one he allowed to touch him. Follows her every where. Screams when she's in bed or out of sight. (Only time he does not scream is at night. He sleeps in his kennel just fine. During the day that's another story.) Yesterday he was in bed with her while she did her school work.
14429340_1110958245656417_1970281801_n.jpg

Now for him to start putting weight on.

Latest posts