Update on Copper bolus

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It's been two weeks since I gave Rascal a copper bolus. I said that his coat seemed softer than it had been and now I see today that the pigment of his fur is beginning to come back to the soft brown it should be instead of the bleached out white. It's more prevalent on his face (cheeks) and on his haunches than on the body but I do see some color on his sides that wasn't there before. I think I'll re bolus him in three months. I use the 2g bollus for kid goats. Hopefully I can do the bolus schedule at six months after that. We have changed their water so there are no chemicals to block the absorption of the copper and that seems to have made a difference in his coat as well. Shawn Patrick seems fine but I will watch him carefully as they came from the same breeder...

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Lets hope I'm right... I'm paranoid since we lost Fawn to UC that I'll do more harm than good. We are both new to goats and they deserve the best treatment available. I'm just guessing at this point but I do think I'm on the right page with this....

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I COMPLETELY understand being NEW to goats and trying to get everything right. My best advice is to write everything down, twice. Once in the barn, once in the house. You wouldn’t believe how easy it is to slip up on things in that short of time. I have a big wall calendar in the barn..I write everything down...because, I have a lot of animals, and this just really helps. I’m really glad the copper has helped...I actually see a difference in my girls too...which is crazy, right? I haven’t don’t the the Replemen yet for a mineral boost besides the wind storm rain, loose minerals that I give, but I keep it in the back of my mind. If you do it, let me know what you think..it’s great to get feedback! :)

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I just got the replemen and didn't want to dose too soon. I gave Rascal his copper bolus on January 4 so it's only been a few weeks... I'll try it on Shawn Patrick in February and see what I think of it. I will keep you posted. Oh, and thanks for the idea of two calendars for the goats.. I can keep one inside and one on the lanai right on their goat cabinet.. We don't have a goat barn as such, just a shed for their house.
goathouse with deck.jpg

SaanenMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would use "Notes" in your smartphone as one of the places to write stuff down and in your house as the other. Then, every week or two, take the notes off your phone and put on your house computer. That way you are reading them again and they will still be fresh enough to add on more notes.
Laura

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would use "Notes" in your smartphone as one of the places to write stuff down and in your house as the other. Then, every week or two, take the notes off your phone and put on your house computer. That way you are reading them again and they will still be fresh enough to add on more notes.
Laura
Good idea, thanks!