Update on Dolly Lamba with wet butt

Natisha

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had posted another thread about by lamb's wet butt & thought it was from water bucket rubbing. I was wrong.
Today while cleaning a stall she was laying in I saw that she is indeed dripping urine. One drop after another with barely a pause. A pretty fast drip followed by a short actual stream, then back to drips which eventually slowed. She otherwise looks normal.
Any ideas?
Thanks

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13501

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe she has a fistula between her bladder and vaginal wall or she could just have a neurogenic bladder....either way, I'd cull her. Neither condition would end well for her long term health management.

Natisha

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Maybe she has a fistula between her bladder and vaginal wall or she could just have a neurogenic bladder....either way, I'd cull her. Neither condition would end well for her long term health management.
Do you mean I should kill her? That's not going to happen unless she gets uncomfortable or sick & I've run out of options. I'll have her examined by a vet. If there is a fistula there must be some way to repair it.
I can't bear the thought of losing her over something like that. She's just a pet & will never have babies.
Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it though it saddens me.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I wouldn't cull her for something as minor as that. Gee whiz. She is a treasure. She may just need a simple treatment. Besides... Dolly Lambda has got game!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah....see? That's the difference with appealing to an open forum. Intent. For many of us, raising sheep is an animal husbandry endeavor that must pay off some time in the future or it just becomes an expensive and worrisome hobby....in today's economy, many cannot afford the luxury.

Even sickly pets can be a luxury if mini-farming on a budget, so a sheep with a continual wet hind quarters poses a costly problem, not to mention the worry of it all.

I wouldn't cull her for something as minor as that. Gee whiz. She is a treasure. She may just need a simple treatment. Besides... Dolly Lambda has got game!
This is where those two worlds collide....pets vs. livestock, just like on BYC. Serious questions are always approached with serious answers in my world. Now, if the question had been prefaced with the comment that no expense to be spared and this sheep will stay on this place forever, no matter the costs, then I would likely have never commented on the post in the first place.

My world has no place for expensive or high maintenance lawn ornaments....so sorry that I posted sound advice for the serious sheepherder. ;) I'll bow out to let the pet owners offer more useful words of wisdom!

Natisha

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Ah....see? That's the difference with appealing to an open forum. Intent. For many of us, raising sheep is an animal husbandry endeavor that must pay off some time in the future or it just becomes an expensive and worrisome hobby....in today's economy, many cannot afford the luxury.

Even sickly pets can be a luxury if mini-farming on a budget, so a sheep with a continual wet hind quarters poses a costly problem, not to mention the worry of it all.

This is where those two worlds collide....pets vs. livestock, just like on BYC. Serious questions are always approached with serious answers in my world. Now, if the question had been prefaced with the comment that no expense to be spared and this sheep will stay on this place forever, no matter the costs, then I would likely have never commented on the post in the first place.

My world has no place for expensive or high maintenance lawn ornaments....so sorry that I posted sound advice for the serious sheepherder. ;) I'll bow out to let the pet owners offer more useful words of wisdom!
No, don't be sorry you posted. You did give sound advice & you're right, I'm not a serious sheepherder but I'm serious about keeping her healthy & happy. I'm not in your league at all & I don't pretend to be.
Dolly is one of 2 pet sheep. The other is an ancient wether. They're both fun, smart & bring me joy. That's all they have to do. I believe her problem stems from very short tail docking.
I just thought that because this forum is named BackYardHerds that maybe there were other pet owners here who have had this problem.
I'm sorry if I insulted anyone, that was not my intent.

Natisha

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
Thanks.
I have a call in to my vet & am hoping there is some procedure or something we can do to help her. If not I am willing to keep her butt shaved & slathered with baby ointment.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I agree with Bee on this one, and I would even if I was keeping Dolly as a pet sheep as well. *If* you can figure out some solution to keep her from being bothered by her urine leak (like urine scald, etc), then maybe it would be tolerable. I just think the sheep's comfort has to come first, no matter what, even if it would make me sad to have to euthanize her or process her. She is a lamb, and if she lives to the age of 12 or so, that's a LONG time to deal with her rear end constantly being wet from urine. I'd say if she's comfortable and isnt' being harmed by the leak, then perhaps let her be, but if it starts posing health problems for her then you're going to have to do something for her. It's not just a minor problem, it could turn into a major problem. Only time will tell.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
And Natisha I'm so sorry, I was really hoping that it was just water from the bucket! :hugs

Natisha

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
And Natisha I'm so sorry, I was really hoping that it was just water from the bucket! :hugs
Thanks. I would never let any animal suffer no matter how hard it would be to let go. So far her skin is normal & staying dry with no signs of irritation. She's happy & playful.
I will never again get a mutilated sheep.