Update on flip-over crisis, doeling is fine now, thanks for the help!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I'm familiar with horses getting cast, not goats. It never crossed my mind when I found her, I thought her neck was broken when she called but didn't so much as twitch!

UT, would you give the antitoxin if it were available? I realized that I would not be able to get to TSC before it closed tonight, but I can go first thing tomorrow.

The doeling is bright and cheerful and moving around normally now. I just checked her a few minutes ago. There are no signs of bloat...yet. Now you guys have me back in a panic!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Don't panic, it won't do any good LOL (my husband tells me this all the time and I still don't believe him, but it's worth a try).

In the AM, go get the antitoxin so you have it. At least give her some orally...if you don't want to go full bore and do the injections. Entero has symptoms to watch for, so read up and keep an eye on her.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I've given hundreds of injections....to horses. I did all the goaties IM this spring, so I am comfortable with the idea. Which is best and how much to give a doeling about 3.5 months old? Maybe saanen/nubian cross, growing well? Given IM?

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Wow Freemotion, that is scary!
I hope she is ok!

I don't know anything about goats, so I can't help you there!

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
if I were in US, I'd probably give the antitoxin, because a lot of my US friends recommend it and have good results. If I could get it here in Aus, I probably wouldnt use it, because I know I've never had problems with not using it before. Make sense?

Dont panic, chances are she will be fine. Just keep bloat and/or scours quietly in the back of your mind to watch for.

Dose rate kate will have to give you, I'm no help there :p

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
If she weighs about 30 lbs, I would do 12 ccs SQ (6 each side) and 12 cc orally. I would do this a couple days in a row now, and continue it if she begins to scour or bloat until the symptoms had passed.

Most of the time I'm dosing 10 lb Nigi kids...and I give them 6 ccs SQ and 6 cc orally as often as every 12 hrs. depending on severity of symptoms. I've only needed it twice, once for a kid with FKS here and once to help treat a customer's kid...thank goodness it was in the fridge!

It really stinks and doesn't taste good (ask me how I know) so be ready...they don't appreciate the drench. Just drench it slowly to prevent aspiration.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Oh, I did mean I gave them SubQ injections this spring! I did IM for another baby buckling...

Are you saying to dose her BOTH with injection AND orally? It seemed that earlier you suggested one or the other, not both. And what are baking soda balls? Something you make?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Yes, correct application is both orally and SQ...but you seemed to be balking so something was better than nothing. I was unsure if you would be comfortable with the shots ;)

Baking soda balls you make yourself - paste it up so you can mold it into a ball with water, and feed it to the goat.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Yes, I was balking a bit, I am not one the throw pharmaceuticals at my animals unless absolutely necessary.....or at myself, either.

For example, certain B vitamins cannot be utilized when injected, they MUST spend some time in the digestive tract, so oral B's are much more useful. (I work with nutraceuticals and doctors and take courses alongside MD's in this.....B injections are a last resort, if you cannot get them in orally.)

But when necessary, I have no problem giving an injection, I just need to know that it is necessary. I appreciate your patience in reassuring me in this regard. :)

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:
Baking soda balls you make yourself - paste it up so you can mold it into a ball with water, and feed it to the goat.
Great idea ...how large do you make the balls and how long will they keep after you make them?