Update on Rosie

Rosetta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My Nubian boar doe is about 3 weeks old and her name is Rosie. We recently took Rosie to the vet, because she was coughing and her nose was runny. When we got there, she was diagnosed with a severe case of bronchitic pneumonia, due to fluids in the lungs. I started blaming myself for not bottle feeding her correctly, but the doctor said she had it for longer than I owned her. Then we realized that it was because of Rosie's mother. We were able to get a back story on Rosie's mom when we bought her. Her mom, when the owner bought her, had a severe case of hoof rot, so bad she was walking on her knee. It was still healing when she gave birth to Rosie, and she nursed Rosie while laying down on her front knees holding her udders in the air. Because of that position, some milk went down her lungs. The doctor stated that she probably had pneumonia far before we bought her, but the symptoms just started showing up. I have shots to give her every 4 days, and pain pills to give her every day. Today, (we went to the vet yesterday) she didn't want to eat much, so we might have to put her on an IV drip so she doesn't get dehydrated. She isn't active, and mostly lays in a corner and grinds her teeth. Along with the shots and the pain meds, we're also giving her B12, to give her more energy, along with a little molasses. Thank you for reading! And please keep little Rosie in your prayers!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Glad you at least caught it in time to try and help her pull through... Baby goats go down so fast and sometimes by the time it's apparent they need help, it's too late. Hope she pulls through! :hugs

Latest posts