update on sale barn calf with cough, and another question

chicks & ducks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Checked on our baby calf again this morning when I went out to feed him, seemed ok, lively, ate entire bottle and wanted more....and then the dreaded cough! (I'm contacting the vet today for nuflor but wanted to touch base with you experts first :D ) His temp was 102.1 last night and today is only 101. It sounds like he has milk on his lungs? He really guzzles it and I wonder about this. He is eating like a trouper and runs and jumps and plays after his bottle like he is fighting fit! I'm torn-I don't like to leave things untreated, but at the same time don't want to give antibiotics if there isn't really an infection as such. The fact that his temp is good has thrown me-I always associate fever with infection, but what do I know?! :rolleyes:
If it IS milk on the lungs do I still need to treat him? Is there anything I can do besides the nuflor? Will get the decongestant drops today as well, but don't want to give them if he's not actually 'congested'.

(about to prove JUST how NEW I am to calfs right now......be prepared to be embarassed for me! :D)
He likes to lick his brain. What I mean is he likes to stick his tongue WAY up in his nose! At first I thought it was just something he liked to do, but now maybe I'm wondering if it IS a sign of nasal congestion? I've seen children do nearly the same thing so honestly didn't think much of it. :p

So-recap-definitely has a cough that sounds wet now.
No fever to speak of
Appetite good
energy good.
Scours? hard to tell, he's in a barn full of hay and I can see lil 'piles' but they seem to have settled into the hay. Haven't actually seen him go yet to know if it was really watery or not.
Gotta go to my 'other' job now, will check here often and go to the vet at 4 for nuflor(or whatever you guys suggest)

p.s. LOVE this forum! Have I told you all that lately! :)

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Is the cough present only during and immediately after bottle feeding? You describe it as a "wet" cough. If it is only present during those times, it may be just a little moisture build up in back of throat during nursing - I've heard that same gurgle from dozens of dairy calves over the years. Nothing to worry about. Now if it is present at other times of day, and persistent, that is something else.

As to the nose licking, that too is normal bovine behavior. They clean their noses with their tongue. Sign of good health.

Since your calf's temp is coming down, and you describe some very healthy behavior - frolicking, wanting more to eat, etc. I wouldn't be too worried. Scours you'd find on his tail and backside as well as in the bedding.

Enjoy your calf!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Since he doesn't have a temp, and is showing no signs of sickness except the cough (and that after he gets done drinking), I would guess he's sucking too hard and is not able to swallow fast enough. This causes the milk to back up in his esophagus till it eventually gets full, and then he aspirates small amounts into his lungs. You might try a new nipple that restricts the flow, and causes him to slow down the amount he gets. This would allow him to swallow the milk as he sucks it out. A calf on a cow will take a LONG time to get his fill. Some of mine take up to 1/2 hour before they quit sucking. I really doubt that your calf is actually hungry when he finishes his bottle---he just has a need to suck more. Calves seem to have a sucking reflex that they need to satisfy, and when bottle fed, they don't need to suck as long. We humans also like to feed them as quickly as possible, so we often enlarge the hole in the nipple so we can save time.

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
We humans also like to feed them as quickly as possible, so we often enlarge the hole in the nipple so we can save time.
When we'd get a new supply of nipples on the dairy, my older cousin would take his pocketknife to each one and do exactly what you stated. At least he did until his dad figured it out...:)

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Today as I was feeding my cows and calves, I watched a 2 day old calf as she sucked. As near as I could tell, she sucked for about 24 minutes. May have been longer, because she was already sucking when I noticed her. Snowed again today. Mud, covered with snow is not ideal calving weather. Luckily I'm nearly done. Just a few tailenders left.

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Have you tried getting him on a pail? I think its better for the calf, and you don't have to worry about him getting the milk in his lungs.

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
Since he doesn't have a temp, and is showing no signs of sickness except the cough (and that after he gets done drinking), I would guess he's sucking too hard and is not able to swallow fast enough. This causes the milk to back up in his esophagus till it eventually gets full, and then he aspirates small amounts into his lungs. You might try a new nipple that restricts the flow, and causes him to slow down the amount he gets. This would allow him to swallow the milk as he sucks it out. A calf on a cow will take a LONG time to get his fill. Some of mine take up to 1/2 hour before they quit sucking. I really doubt that your calf is actually hungry when he finishes his bottle---he just has a need to suck more. Calves seem to have a sucking reflex that they need to satisfy, and when bottle fed, they don't need to suck as long. We humans also like to feed them as quickly as possible, so we often enlarge the hole in the nipple so we can save time.
I was just noticing this same thing yesterday. When we had our first two calves, they were bottle babies. They sucked those bottles dry in no time.

But watching our new calf nurse. He sucks from one teet for a few seconds, then moves to another, then moves to another, then moves back. So he isn't getting such a large quantity of milk all at once. He has a chance to breathe in between and is able to get that desire for sucking taken care of because it takes longer.

I had never really thought of that before until we experienced both.

Sounds like you are going to take very good care of this calf chicks & ducks. Best wishes!