*update video pg 7* Newfreewill Rabbit Adventure

Marie28

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well we still have March 10th :p We are waiting for the 80% (8lbs) of her senior weight or 8 months. Her last weigh in was 7.2 lbs. She gain about pound in 14 days (our scale is not super accurate but the boys only gained 6oz). So when we get the hutches i order it will be considered.

Marie28

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So i guess she heard my husband and I talking because this morning she decided to pull fur. Still no babies but I've read to many horror stories about removing the box early so she will get to keep it for one more night...

Marie28

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thought I would update... Still nothing.
Yesterday she was laying on her side and let my husband feel her belly and he said he felt one lump about 3-4 inches. I have not had a chance to feel her but she is looking very large and uncomfortable... If i have my dates and did math right it would be 31 days today....

Marie28

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welp Ruby is a mamma! She had one very large DOA about the length of my hand and at least one (possibly two) alive half the size of the other! She must have heard us talking again because this morning around 10am she was pulling tons and tons of hair, stomping her foot (i went over to see what she wanted and she bite the hay rack and started shaking it) gave her more hay and she made a lovely nest.

The dead one was in the middle so I though she had one very large kit. But upon further investigation I saw something moving in the fur! She cleaned the dead one very well and there was almost not blood in the whole nest. For being so young she is a great mamma, I couldn't be happier with the out come of this. I understand that one single kit most likely won't live, but I'm very content with her mothering skills. I'm not 100% sure she is done so I will get some pictures later. She has almost no concern with us messing with the nest.

One question I do have, how long can kits survive with out being fed?

Last edited:

Marie28

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
well she is back in the box... maybe some more on the way? We gave her a few BOSS & a bit of oats on top of her pellets and she hasn't eaten them (very abnormal for her). If i have the right day then this would be 36?!?! I'm guessing the large DOA was stuck and preventing her from having the kits earlier.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may not see her feeding him, they usually feed only twice a day for a short time, 10 or 15 minutes. Just keep a an eye on the kit, a wiggly kit with a full tummy is a great sign. Just watch mama for mastitis with only 1. Congratulations

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Congrats! I had French Lops who successfully raised just one kit. It is easier with body heat and sometimes moms milk doesn't come in with only one but if his tummy is full then things sound like he has the best start possible with an attentive mom!

Marie28

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you :D

Checked on he kit again and his belly is full and he was very wiggly.

I will keep a look out for mastitis.