UPDATE: Sad story for a pretty little girl.

lasergrl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
wow, she looks ALOT better.

The raw egg thing works great. It has to be a free range egg though, and even better if from a farm with cattle. I read a study that shows that hens deposit antibodies in the eggs (for the growing chick) so what is really helping along with the proteins are antibodies! So store bought eggs from hens in cages are too sterile and wont work as well.

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I LOVE her coloring!!!!!!!!! She has a great chance of making a recovery, from my EXTREMELY untrained eye :lol:

neener92

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm trying the egg tonight.....I changed her feeding schedule somewhat slowly due to the fact it's difficult to feed her 4 times a day. I'm now trying the two times a day and now she has the poopies. :barnie :he :th :hide :tongue :rant GREAT! She's still acting better and she's still hungry after feedings. If it isn't one thing its another! gesh! On the up side there's no blood, just really runny watery yellow poo, she started eating grain and hay a little.....more like nibbling. Gurrrr! I gave her more probios, should I do anything else. :idunno

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I would leave out the egg. :/ If she's doing well "don't fix what ain't broke."

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My leased red holstein calf has the same thing. Scours. We gave it scour halt ( or something like it),antibiotics, and I THINK electrolytes... I hope he gets better! He wasn't eating so we had to tube feed him, but this afternoon he was standing up and was trying to suck, so I started halter breaking him, then they fed him, I think, but I wasn't there.

I hope I'm not a thread hijacker! :hide

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bless you for doing so much for this sweet little girl.

I'm sorry, but judging from the first photos you posted, she looked malnourished to start to me. Especially with the difficulties drinking from a bottle, I really doubt he was either feeding her enough or noticing she had issues. If she were used to nursing/bottle feeding she wouldn't just forget. I didn't see, but you can also look for buckets that have nipples, so at some point you can fill them and hang them at the right height and she can feed herself while you go on about your chores. Calves have to suck, though, in order to get the right nutrition from milk. Simply drinking bypasses the abomasum, and the rumen is not equipped to properly digest the milk fats and proteins, resulting in nutrition deficiencies.

Good luck with her, and do keep us posted!

lasergrl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
egg is actually for helpingscours. It also helps put weight back on when they dont have scours. I have done this for dozens of auction calves and it really does help. Sometimes 3 times a day. It is a very old cattle raising tip that was only rescently understood why it works. BUT the best thing for scouring calves are the new products that gel up. Many people have just as much luck with jelatin. Ive never tried it.

At any rate this calf looks TONS better.

neener92

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We usually give our calves antibiotic to clear up scours...it's worked will for us. I usually don't get too worried with it, but with her having a rough start it bothered me a lot! She hasn't changed much, I'd like to her put weight on better but I don't want to feed her too much either.

The guy I got her from didn't really have time to sit and mess with her, since he has wayy too many animals for one person to care for....about 200 to 300 cattle (spread out everywhere), about 50 sheep, and chicken houses. I think he needs to slow'er down a little and try caring for the animals a little better. But, maybe from now on he will call me if he gets any babies that need some TLC!

So the egg will help with scours? I haven't heard of this, but if it helps I will most certainly use egg! I have way too many eggs, so if feeding them to the calves will help them I'm all for it!

She's turning out to be a real sweetheart! I'm so glad I could save her....and another plus she's out of registered red angus! :)

Any other tips are greatly appreciated! :D

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
lasergrl said:
egg is actually for helpingscours. It also helps put weight back on when they dont have scours. I have done this for dozens of auction calves and it really does help. Sometimes 3 times a day. It is a very old cattle raising tip that was only rescently understood why it works. BUT the best thing for scouring calves are the new products that gel up. Many people have just as much luck with jelatin. Ive never tried it.

At any rate this calf looks TONS better.
Do you give the egg cookeed or raw? My calf had scours, we used stuff from the store and he's fine now, but skinny :(