Updated: Ketonic doe had 2 full term bucklings

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So my Nubian doe is due in 12 days. I have noticed she has become very quiet and dreamy. Normally she is the jump up and yell for you type and gets very excitable about things. Today she did not even leave the barn when every one else went out to graze. After I led her out there she just stood in the field for a while and fell asleep. I later found her snoozing in the barn by her self. She is nor very hungry just sort of picks at feed. When she is awake she just sort of stares off wistfully. I moved her into the kidding stall since she did not want to be with the herd anyways. No colostrum or anything so I think she has a bit to go still but anyone else found that some of their does do this before kidding. The best example I can give is someone who is high. She is acting very blissfully stoned. Definitely not acting sick vitals all seem to be normal just off in her own world.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Hmm...I'm not sure that's normal. Normally when I've seen animals act like that there's something wrong....like pregnancy toxemia. I'd be concerned if she's not eating.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Hmm...I'm not sure that's normal. Normally when I've seen animals act like that there's something wrong....like pregnancy toxemia. I'd be concerned if she's not eating.

X2, google ketosis and pregnancy toxemia, somewhere to start. My does were completely normal up until they kidded.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Keep an eye on her and make sure you have on hand things to treat hypocalcemia. If she is not eating or if she seems to have any trouble moving about, treat her. If you suspect ketosis, get in touch with a vet so they are on notice. Could be nothing more than a tired, pregnant momma but better to be safe and prepared.

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am keeping a very close eye on her, she seems to move around just fine. But looking at some info I think there may be some Ketosis starting. Going to give my vet a call and see what he recommends.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can buy strips to test for ketosis.

not sure if we got from Tractor supply or if we had to order them.

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So had a chat with my vet, we gave her a shot of Vit A & D and Calcium drench, started syringing her with the corn syrup, oil and molasses blend, she also got b12 and probiotics. Then she got a shot of Nuflor (poor thing) and she is going on Predef every other day for a while. We are going to nip anything in the bud and get her back on track. I KNEW she was acting odd the past couple of days but there was every chance she could have been just acting normally for goats, so I am glad I asked you guys.

Thanks everyone!

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oakroot said:
So had a chat with my vet, we gave her a shot of Vit A & D and Calcium drench, started syringing her with the corn syrup, oil and molasses blend, she also got b12 and probiotics. Then she got a shot of Nuflor (poor thing) and she is going on Predef every other day for a while. We are going to nip anything in the bud and get her back on track. I KNEW she was acting odd the past couple of days but there was every chance she could have been just acting normally for goats, so I am glad I asked you guys.

Thanks everyone!
If you're talking Predef 2X it is a steroid. This will terminate the pregnancy.

Donna

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Renegade said:
If you're talking Predef 2X it is a steroid. This will terminate the pregnancy.

Donna
THANK YOU! I have not given this yet and am very glad I did not. This was not made clear to me at all. In the vet's defense I think there was miscommunication. I think he may have thought the doe was in a bad way which I am sure many are when people call him. You could also tell it was one of those days at that vet office. I don't know what happened and everyone looked like they where trying to be bright and smiley but ya something. I am glad to have the predef on hand and if she takes a turn and spikes a fever and such I will start her on it but there is zero reason to right now. I also would not have given the Nuflor if I had known it was going to hurt as bad as it did. With the horrible weather that was going on and her being off he wanted to make sure pneumonia was not setting in but I do not think I would do that again with out very good reason too.

As for miss doe she is perking up. About an hour after giving her the syrup/molasses/oil she was looking much more interested in food so I gave her some soaked beet pulp with a good dose of that mixed in. She has been nibbling that and hay all evening. I have seen her drink and take some loose minerals as well. I really think the antibiotics where superfluous but I have them on hand now if I need it.

It is so hard to learn that balance. Do to much to early and you make things worse do to little or to late and you make things worse. Next time I see a doe acting like this I will be going for the sugar and vitamins first.

Thanks everyone!

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So the doe is now worse this morning. She is on her feet and moving ok but when I first came in she coughed for a bit. This has stopped now. She keeps grinding her teeth (once a minute or so not constant). She also is stretching her neck just a little bit and moving her jaw sideways (like stretching it) and pulling her lips back a bit. She is acting a lot like that time she had a bit of apple she was chocking on. She is also off food.

As for syringing her with anything if I try no mater how small the amount she shakes her head back and forth makes wild faces. She is not reacting to the taste it is like she feels like it is going down the wrong tube but she is not coughing it back up. She did a bit of this last night but not to this level at all. She has a little bit of foamy spit in the corners of her mouth after all this. It is possible she has just been jabbed in the mouth so many times at this point she is just mad about it. But I am having a hard time reading all this.