Updated: Ketonic doe had 2 full term bucklings

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Renegade said:
Propylene Glycol is not a good choice for goats. If you want good success throw out the propylene glycol and go back to using Revive or Magic. The doe will hate it but it works when used aggressively. There are two things that doe needs. Sugar or carbs for energy and calcium.
We had a doe a few years ago that would not get up at all and would not eat. We gave her 120ml Revive every 2-3 hours around the clock and made her get up and walk. We also put apple juice in her water for the extra sugar. After 4-5 days she would nibble at food and was at least walking around. We continued to treat her 4X a day until she kidded 10 days later. She had 5 kids and raised 3 of them on her own. She lived to be 10 years old and never had another problem.
You should know if you're planning to terminate the pregnancy the Predef alone will not do it. I personally would not give the Predef without also giving Lutalyse 12 hours later. I have a friend who's vet gave his doe Predef but not Lutalyse. The doe died 3 days later.

JMO

Donna
She is getting both. She gets magic/miracle drench every 2 hours and every 6 she gets a half dose of goat drench which is propylene glycol first ingredient along with B12, A, calcium and other vitamins. At this point the doe is still not showing any signs of toxemia just ketosis so no point in forcing termination just yet. Predef at the dose my vet recommended may cause her to go early but should not cause her to terminate right away. If she starts showing signs of toxemia and we need to get babies out asap I will contact him about inducing. I can understand if you need to get babies our right away that predef alone is not the way to go. It cattle this drug is rather low risk for termination compared to other ketosis treatment options. It is not that I am planning to terminate I am just realistic that predef has greatly lowered my chances of her going full term. I weighed the pros and cons of giving the predef and decided at this point stabilizing her is more important then risk to kids but I am not ready to terminate just yet.

She seems to be perking up a bit after starting the Predef though it will not be until tomorrow am before we should expect to see full results.

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Nutri Drench is a bottle of propylene glycol with a minute amount of vitamins, calcium, and coloring. You can't get enough calcium into her using that product.

Donna

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
tried to take my time and read through all of this. This is spring time and I didn't read anything mentioning fecal samples or worming. I would get a fecal sample done on her.

Did you mention or check eye lid color?

Have you been giving her the Nuflor?

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Big improvement this afternoon! Ketone strip was extremely slight. Still no signs of any fever. She really wanted to be out in the pasture with the other goats so I let her out (with me right there) she was much improved by that. Tail is up, looking a lot more brite eyed. She is moving around with the herd and taking tiny bites of grass and dried leaves all along the way. She is drinking lots of her own too. She has colostrum in both sides as of this afternoon too and her udders are filling. Still not holding out much hope for kids but if they do survive then at least there will be real colostrum from mom. We will see what happens but things are definitely looking a bit brighter for her.

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Still improving everyday. If I am with her she will spend a long time grazing in the pasture. Not interested in much other food but hey I will take it. Still no signs of any toxemia (no fever, swelling or overt distress). She will hit 145 days tomorrow and while she is starting to bag up she is showing no signs of wanting to kid just yet. She will get her third dose of predef 2x tomorrow. It seems to be providing a big help to her and kids are still moving around so I am seeing no signs it is terminating her pregnancy.

20k she did start looking anemic a few days ago and we started treating for that as well. Seems to have helped. She was only given a single does of nuflor.

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It was a loooong night (to tired to post everything yet) but look what we have to share!

199002_10151352216100404_1100534579_n.jpg

ETA: Two boys

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Beautiful outcome to a "not-very-fun pregnancy"! I had a goat with toxemia last year and it is NOT fun at all. She also delivered twins, but I thought she and/or her kids would die. Glad to hear the outcome was AWESOME!