Updated pics of my sheep

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Baymule:
Thank you so much!!! I'm going to band everyone next year. I thought I read somewhere that within 24 hours or up to a week is the best time to do it? Something to do with not being as painful? Does that sound about right?

I'm glad your meat tasted good, I can't wait to taste mine!! Though I kind of wish I could keep Padme's speckled nosed one for breeding, he's a NICE boy! I really liked Amee's bigger boy too. ;)

Mike CHS:
That is so sweet, thank you!! I just love my flock and Maggie :love

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here's a couple more of Maggie from this spring

upload_2016-10-24_20-43-47.jpeg

upload_2016-10-24_20-44-3.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We cut ours. it was quick and over with. We set the lamb down and he ran to his momma for a suckle and all was well. If there is someone around that can show you how, it is easy. I sat down with the lamb on his back, butt pointed out, away from me. Our friend used a sharp pocket knife to cut the bottom 1/3 of the sac off, dug his fingers in and dragged out the testicles. Next batch of lambs, I'll get him to help me, but I'll do the cutting. We did it at 2 weeks. From birth to 2 weeks and it isn't so painful, or so it's said, how does anyone measure the pain level getting nuts cut out on a lamb anyway? Ask them? :lol:

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Very good point indeed! ;) Is there added pros to cutting instead of banding? We used to cut the beef bulls, but a friend of mine bands her lambs I think. I know she cuts the pigs.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
first lambs, so I don't know how it compares. But from what I read, banding cuts off the blood supply, so it rots off. Eeeewww. Better to get it over with. Anybody can correct me if I am wrong about the banding.

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Eww is right!! I wonder if one way would be less likely for infection though? Hmm, guess I have another thing to add to my research list :caf :lol:

Aw, thank you!!! I just found out she is in heat, and I'm thinking about breeding her. I was asking for peoples advice on the LGD thread.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your sheep are lovely! I have goats and pigs (and poultry) but am hoping to get some Katahdin sheep in the spring.

We cut our pigs. I fully intent to do the same with our bucklings. A lot of people on here do cutting but a lot do banding too. It's kind of a debate in the goat world anyway. I personally don't like the idea of all that stuff hanging and decaying over time until it falls off. I wouldn't want someone to do that to one of my body parts. Sorry, I know some people swear by it but eww!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Let me tell you -- in case you don't already know -- if you go to an auto shop and buy the box of blades they sell for body work, they are surgical sharp!! The old square kind, sharp on bottom & capped on top. Not expensive.

I've used them for many types of things -- lancing, castration, etc. Even cut my self and can tell you that they are so sharp you don't feel it happening! Used to have part ownership in an auto repair shop - found them there.