Urban breeds

Blackgold05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What’s are some of the best breeds of goats for a smaller space (I.e an Average backyard) my city ordinance allows for quite a few large animals on a property of about an acre so I was wondering what could work in that space

Blackgold05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You need something QUIET. So, NOT a goat with any Nubian.

My Saanen was very quiet.
Is boer or kiko the same noise level as a ny Ian? Id love a quiet breed and still have the cute lil floppy ears

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boer tend to be quieter, overall but any goat can be loud at times. A Nubian just seems to have more of those times 🤣. But Boer is a meat breed and if a good one, there's a couple hundred pounds of doe, bucks larger.

Not all Nubians are as vocal and the mini nubs, being crosses, seem quieter sometimes. Always have two. If they bond to you, they often call for you! I have some quiet ones and one who is NOT! :lol:

My Saanens are the quietest.

Blackgold05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Boer tend to be quieter, overall but any goat can be loud at times. A Nubian just seems to have more of those times 🤣. But Boer is a meat breed and if a good one, there's a couple hundred pounds of doe, bucks larger.

Not all Nubians are as vocal and the mini nubs, being crosses, seem quieter sometimes. Always have two. If they bond to you, they often call for you! I have some quiet ones and one who is NOT! :lol:

My Saanens are the quietest.
I typically see mostly NDs and Pygmy muttsfor sale here. I’ll see saanens periodically along with alpines and nubians

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sannens are hands down winners for the most quiet as well as the most milk.

A Saanen can often be bred once and stay in milk for years.

Pygmy goats produce close to a cup of milk at best, and their lactation is SHORT (like 4 months). ND can be just as bad, or way better if they are from an excellent breeder. But, most ND, though better than most Pygmy goats for milk, aren't very good. And those tiny little teats.

Blackgold05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sannens are hands down winners for the most quiet as well as the most milk.

A Saanen can often be bred once and stay in milk for years.

Pygmy goats produce close to a cup of milk at best, and their lactation is SHORT (like 4 months). ND can be just as bad, or way better if they are from an excellent breeder. But, most ND, though better than most Pygmy goats for milk, aren't very good. And those tiny little teats.
I know Saanens are HIUUUGE! How would they do in a smaller space? Could they replace the cow in that aspect as a grazer?

Blackgold05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I’ve also never asked about Lamanchas. We get a few of them for sale in the Atlanta area as well. They basically seem like nubians without ears to me so are they just as loud in that resp?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know Saanens are HIUUUGE! How would they do in a smaller space? Could they replace the cow in that aspect as a grazer?
They are smaller than a cow, and usually have a longer lactation than a cow. Sannen only look big if you stick them next to a tiny pygmy goat. They will look mini sized if you stick them next to a cow.

They are bred to be easy to handle, since it is Saanens that are in the commercial goat dairies.

But... they are browsers, not grazers Iike a cow. So... they will eat differently than a cow eats.

Latest posts