Urban breeds

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve also never asked about Lamanchas. We get a few of them for sale in the Atlanta area as well. They basically seem like nubians without ears to me so are they just as loud in that resp?
Lamanchas are not that loud but still loud on occasion. I love my mini saanen. She is *usually* quiet.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
So basically saanens are giant quiet low maintenance goats?
They require more groceries to sustain themselves but they make a lot of milk but they are more quiet than most breeds. All goats make noise though. It's a lot like how some dogs are quieter than others but all dogs bark and make noise. A truly quiet goat is a stuffed animal toy.

Kristie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What’s are some of the best breeds of goats for a smaller space (I.e an Average backyard) my city ordinance allows for quite a few large animals on a property of about an acre so I was wondering what could work in that space
I have two Nigerian Dwarf females on a small piece of land. They are easy and relatively quiet. And they know if Momma tells them to hush, they best do it! LOL

Best of luck on your goat adventure!

Nommie Bringeruvda Noms

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I raise Nigoras. They're a cross between ND & Angora, and the only ones bred for both excellent milk and beautiful fiber. We're working toward full breed status, but that's still a few generations away. They're very sweet, easy to handle, and socialized ones will follow you around like puppies. Their teats aren't huge, but milking them is easy(that's coming from a woman with 4 trigger fingers, arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, tendonitis). Their milk is rich and sweet, and mine roo, so they don't have to be shorn, and the only softer fiber I've found, is Angora. They're very quiet, unless they're upset about something... or in labor.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
You said an "average size backyard" but then you said that you are allowed livestock on an acre. An acre is not an average size yard in most cities.

What is the actual size of your yard and are you zoned for goats?

Do you want house milk or pets? Boers and Kikos are meat goats not milk goats.

Shario1

Just born
Reaction score
We LOVE nigerian dwarfs - have 4 that we keep as pets only, but know they are GREAT milk producers if that's what you are looking for - our Nigerian's are quiet, very personable with great personalities.

Latest posts