Urban Farmer

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey all.
New to the whole urban farm game. I recently purchased a home where I plan on starting a tiny urban farm. I currently have a few rabbits a small water garden 9 ducklings and 2 goslings. I'm wanting to breed pigs(on a small scale) a dairy goat and possibly a sheep as well oh, and a 10x16 green house with an aquponics system. Now my lot is rather small close to 1\3 of an acre. And tips or suggestions. Is my lot to small for what I want to do? How big do my pens need to be?

Thanks!

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome!
YaY other small time farmer. We are going to be doing the same thing as you. What kind of pigs are going to breed? If you aren't going to have a lot of space for them I suggest then kune kune pig.

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have yet to decide. I will definitely research them! Are you currently raising any kune lines?

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to Backyard Herds!!
I think that the rabbits are really nice for if you don't have much space. I don't have any at the moment but I have in the past. They don't take up much room, are quite, will eat most anything you pick them(grass, weeds, vegetables, etc...), and their not hard to keep. I would definitely look more into rabbits for your small space. If I was doing what you're doing I would try to breed florida whites. They're small and good for meat.

Another thing that I would do, and I currently am getting set up to, is quail. Quail can take less feed and space and give you more meat per bird than chickens or cattle. They don't take up much space and reproduce like crazy! if you have a silkie or an incubator XD. +it only takes 2 months from when a bird lays and egg to when that egg hatches, grows, and lays another egg! 2 MONTHS! is that faster then cows or what!? I definitely will be getting quail soon. In your research you might want to check out slightlyrednecked's Youtube channel. He has helped me with a few of my questions and puts out great videos!

So, rabbits and quail(i suggest coturnix as you don't need a permit for them).

Anyway, welcome. Oh, and could you maybe upload some pics?? we're all picture addicts around here. XD :)

MW

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Colorado. Sounds like your going to be starting quite the business.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH @B3NZ0 :frowGlad you joined us! Sounds like you've got a plan :) I think one of the first things you'll need to do is check with your HOA/local govt to see if you can have livestock. I really don't mean to dampen your plans, but on 1/3rd of an acre, that doesn't give you a lot of room for larger animals. :( Especially since you're also talking a green house, garden(s), and the other animals. Normally when a home is on a smaller parcel like that, it indicates that you are surrounded (very closely) by neighbors. This can cause issues with noise as well as odors. All these animals (especially pigs) can create quite a stink, as well as a goodly quantity of future fertilizer that must be dealt with. There's also the feed issue... Since you won't have enough land for them to feed off, you'll need to buy feed for all of them and that can add up to a substantial amount over time.

I hope it all works out for you and hope you'll share your ongoing story with us! As someone mentioned, we all are kinda addicted to pictures here so if you have some you'd be willing to share, we'd all be most appreciative! :D

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions everybody.

I actually watched slightly rednecks video about the quail last week. And quail is something I am definitely interested in producing.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope quail work for you guys:). Just don't keep them in the same area as chickens or rabbits. We had 18 and they all got a disease that comes from chickens and rabbits so they all died :(. I really enjoyed the quail for the time we had them. When I would feed the rabbits I would stick 2 quail in my pockets and do chores with them. They are so cuddle and calm, I was always told that they were flighty but were not.

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
AK huh? Sounds like a fun adventure. Definitely keep us posted and up to date. Good luck with it. Figured I might keep the quail in my garage or green house.