URGENT. HELP! Raspy Newborn

Nonie Gines

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
i just had my Doe (FF) kid 3 babies. Two small does and one very large buck. All ate and were off and going by 8pm. I use (always have) Nutridrench if I see some wobbly/weak legs and such. Due to positioning in this birth (one breach, one sideways, and the big boy had to be tugged on a bit), one doe and the buck had some wobbly hind legs. I drenched as I normally have and when I went back to check them at midnight, the little boy is SO raspy and not terribly interested in eating (and was scarfing his food at 8 and 10)!! Did I drown him and now he will die? How do I fix this ifnit went down his lungs?? So worried!!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. There's a wealth of info available in the various threads but I'm sure (as a first timer?) you don't have (or want to spend) a lot of time searching for answers and want something like hours ago. I've only been through one kidding, so am not the right person to throw an answer your way. I'll tag some folks who have a lot of experience and knowledge and hopefully they'll be by in short order and can offer you suggestions/thoughts/ideas. Not sure where you're physically located, so, would be nice to know for climate reasons. Please consider putting at least a general location in your profile.

In the mean time, What breed of goat are they? When you say "scarfing his food" are you bottle feeding them? if so, what with (milk source)? and in what quantity? how often? It appears 2 hours from your post, and what size nipple... It's important that they get their mom's colostrum as soon as possible after birth. It passes on the mother's antibodies to protect the kids from diseases they are not otherwise protected from. This is best to happen within 4 hours of birth. After 24 hours it's basically too late. If they aren't dam feeding, then you need to milk out the mom and bottle feed it to the kids.

@Goat Whisperer @babsbag @frustratedearthmother @Green Acres Farm @Fullhousefarm and there are many others. Good luck and congrats on the little ones. Sorry it's a bad situation that brought you to us, but glad you're here. Share some pics if you have a mind down the road. We all love animal pics, especially babies. :D

Nonie Gines

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I will update my profile...I just was reaching out in the night as a worried person. :)

This is not my first set of kids, but it is this does first babies. He was eating (scarfing) from his mom (all are and have routinely through the night).

When I went out at 3:00, he was in much better spirits and got up and ate. However I did take with me 1/2 cc penicillin and gave that to him. I read through many threads and online resources and this proved to be what would cure it if he did aspirate, and wouldn’t hurt him if it wasn’t the case either.

I feel much better about him. Now...hoping mom develops a BIT MORE MILK in the day to come. They are getting fed, but she is not engorged whatsoever. But then again, with 3 little pups pulling on you, all at different times (and at time synchronized), it might mean we will not see the overly full teats. She has a bag, and babies have full tummies. Just smaller than other, experiences does.

Nonie Gines

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
PS...I am in Wyoming. It’s cold here. Low 20’s, high teens overnight. Mid-high 40’s, low 50’s maybe during the peak of the day.

Babies have enclosed pen, heat lamps, and bedding of straw/shavings to keep warm! And sweaters!

Haha...that’s unseasonably WATM for this time of year, too!

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Glad things are looking up....hope it keeps in that direction...welcome to BYH! Please share pictures when you have time and congrats on your new little ones.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Sounds like you've got things well in hand & it's all working out for you then. He may have gotten greedy & inhaled a little of momma's milk and that made him raspy. I'd keep an ear on it to make sure it doesn't get worse. Hopefully all those little ones tugging on teat will encourage momma to make more milk for them. I remember when 40-50s was unseasonably warm... I'm liking the warmer winters down here :) Not quite as fond of the high heat summer though... Guess I'll adapt to it over time.