Urgent! ND doe in labor too early?!?

lomine

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh boy these last few days have been like a roller coaster. The kid is responding well to the meds. She has her energy back and is moving around more. She’s even trying to do the little goat side hop jump. She can nurse on her own now, too.

I’m still going to be checking on them every couple of hours to make sure she’s still eating. The vet said to give penicillin for the next three days and another does of antitoxin tomorrow. Cookie is doing better too. She’s very attentive to the kid now and has calmed down.
14C34B1E-18BE-4518-BF95-D1E3DDD3FC19.jpeg

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh boy these last few days have been like a roller coaster. The kid is responding well to the meds. She has her energy back and is moving around more. She’s even trying to do the little goat side hop jump. She can nurse on her own now, too.

I’m still going to be checking on them every couple of hours to make sure she’s still eating. The vet said to give penicillin for the next three days and another does of antitoxin tomorrow. Cookie is doing better too. She’s very attentive to the kid now and has calmed down.
View attachment 51319

:love

:weeeCongratulations!! So glad your perseverance and close watching has paid off!

Does the little cutie have a name yet?

lomine

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wednesday night/Thursday morning was another tough time. I had to syringe feed milk for a bit to help her. I think she may have overheated on the electric heat pad. I thought she would get up if she got too hot but I don’t think that happened.

I feel like we’ve finally turned a corner. She is now at 3.09 lbs, is nursing completely on her own, and she’s starting to jump around a little.

I was hesitant to name her but now that she’s doing so well I’ve been thinking about names. I’d like to either name her something that has to do with her fighter spirit or her markings. Mom has this white marking on her side that always makes me think of a dragon spitting fire and the kid has a mini version of it. So far I’ve found two I like. Brienne, which means brave, and Adelind, which means noble serpant (i.e. dragon).

lomine

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Mom has had some bloody discharge. Is there a good trick to cleaning it out of her tail?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:lol: She's going to be real sensitive about you messing around back there... Just so you know, but I'll bet you realized this. When I was milking after the birth, her tail would be absolutely caked with stuff as it would get wet, then when she'd lay down it would collect dirt and debris. Turned her tail into an almost brick. o_O Since I use warm to hot water with bleach and dawn soap as an udder cleaning solution before milking, I'd make sure I had plenty and a little extra and after milking, before letting her go, I'd use the wash cloth and that warm water to wash her tail off as best I could. After doing it a few times, I guess she figured out I wasn't trying to breed her and that she felt much better afterwards, so she settled down and let me clean her. I also caught several of the other does who's tails were a mess and cleaned them at the same time, same way. Of course that wash cloth was laundry bound afterwards.