URGENT PLEASE: Nose Bleeding With Some Mucus/Pus, Lethargic & Fits - HELP PLEASE 🙏

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Edited to say: After I took her temperature she is now bleeding from her anus. I've managed to get her to stand for a while. Later on in the day she stood up by herself. I've also now given her 5ccs of Vitamin B Complex SQ, and one human iron tablet down her throat (photo attached of the breakdown of that). Also given a shot of Catasol multivitamin SQ. After initially posting here I did some reading on this forum and came to the conclusion that a serious worm overload was likely the problem. Thoughts?? Based on that and while waiting for a response today I topped up her worming medication from yesterday (Valbazen down her throat) and today gave her 3ccs of Bimectin down her throat.

Please help! I have a 13 year old doe who for 3 days now has been having fits/twitches. We noticed yesterday her nose was bleeding (woke up to find blood snorted around her pen) and since last night there has been some mucus or pus? present as well.

Yesterday she could still stand and although off her feed, I managed to get 4 bananas into her as well as 2 banana leaves, some other scrub and a little bit of alfalfa hay. Yesterday she had water with molasses available all day and drank a decent amount.

Today she doesn't want to stand up and can't get her to eat or drink anything! Moments ago I took her temperature...38 degrees Celsius. She is not grinding her teeth in pain. Her breathing seems to be ok..no labored breathing.

She appears a little bloated so I've been making her have some baking soda.

Unfortunately we do not have the funds to get a vet to take a look, and besides that, there is no one here in Thailand that we know of that sees goats.

Yesterday and today I gave her 5ccs each of Penicillin G SQ and separately Tolfedine SQ. Yesterday I also gave her Valbazen (in case its worms), and also sprinkled her with sulphur powder in case it's lice/mites.

Recently we have had a rat bothering the goats and enjoying hanging around in their hay....could this be the problem? Other 'predators' I've noticed are mosquitoes and wasps.

Any advice on what else I can do please to try to save her?

Attachments

• 20220715_120923.jpg
    20220715_120923.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220715_121121.jpg
    20220715_121121.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 1657879129978620544863454428815.jpg
    1657879129978620544863454428815.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow....

Uh... I do not think lice/mites/fleas would be the issue.... unless they were carriers of disease...

There are some nasty diseases that rats can carry, and some are transferred by fleas from the rat to the other animal.....

Not sure about what diseases are in Thailand... but in Texas you can still get leprosy and bubonic plague. No joke.

Sadly... if she is bleeding from both ends... not sure that you will be able to save her.

However, I do think that you have provided excellent supportive care. You have definitely covered all bases.

Thailand also, is both warm and wet, which means all of the parasites in the world! So... maybe ask around to any locals, and see if they will tell you what local nasty parasite is most likely responsible. They might have a method to kill or reduce the load of whatever it is.

So sorry no one has been by to help.... you are in a very unique situation.

Super sucks.

:hugs

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry for what you and your doe are going through. I've had goats a very long time and I've never had a situation with symptoms quite like what you've described.

Sounds like you are doing good supportive treatment. Her temp seems close to normal, maybe a tiny bit low. If she's eating and drinking she might have a chance. If she's still with you I'd keep up the B-vitamins. You can't really overdose a goat on those as she will simply excrete what her body can't use. However, at 13 years old she simply might be at the end of her lifespan. :(

You didn't mention if you'd checked the color of her membranes. You can pull down her lower lid to check for color. If it's very pale it's an indication of anemia. Anemia from parasites is the most likely reason - but losing blood internally (from whatever cause) is not a good sign. Giving iron, like you did, should help.

I hope she's hanging in there. Please let us know how it goes as we might all be able to learn something.

Good luck!

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your replies. I truly appreciate your kindness and support.

Unfortunately we woke up this morning to the most horrendous sounds coming from the goat house. I sat with her while she bled out from both ends, convulsing all the way to the very end. At one point she managed to sit up a bit and she rested her head in my arms. :hit:hit:hit

She was the best goat, my friend who would follow me everywhere hoping for a cuddle. I will sorely miss my darling Khaleesi.

I don't know if animals go to heaven, but while I was holding her I asked her to wait for me there.

Thanks again for your replies ❤️

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you.

In hindsight....about a week ago I had noticed her poops were no longer round berries but instead were skinny pointed things. At the time, because I'd seen a rat in the hay that backs onto her pen wall, I'd assumed it was rat poop. Maybe it wasn't? Maybe it was her poop? What would this indicate? Photo attached.

I have another doe and her 2 x 2 week old doelings in the pen attached to Khaleesi's. Yesterday I de-wormed the doe and will get onto de-worming the babies asap. Hoping they won't catch whatever this was. This morning, after burying Khaleesi, I bleached the spots in her pen where body fluids including blood had leaked. Will that be enough?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220716-112253_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220716-112253_Gallery.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 67

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've been trying to find something..but so far nothing. Could it have been worms? I did read on one thread here that the shape of goat poops can change to something like in the photo above with a worm overload??

This afternoon I removed all goats from their house and bleached everywhere with straight bleach! Then rinsed with water, waited till dry and put down new hay for my remaining doe and her doelings.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The bleeding from nose and rectum are what are not normal for worms. I will look in my goat disease book and see what it could be. Do you turn her out to graze or do you feed all hay in a pen? Could have eaten something poisonous.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some diseases like coccidiosis have a symptom of bloody diarrhea but no bloody nasal discharge. Nose bots results in heavily infected animals sneezing worms out of their noses. You will find the worms floating in the drinking bucket. The only disease I can find in my goat disease book with symptoms of bloody discharge from both nose and rectum is anthrax.

I think you should check her pen carefully and the feed she has had a chance to consume. Since you are in Thailand where it is very muggy and hot, check to see that any grain or feed you have been giving her has not become moldy. Hot damp temperatures can cause mold in feed which can be poisonous to livestock. Poisoning in some way sounds like the only thing I can think that might have elicited those symptoms.

Worming the other goats can't hurt, as long as you are using the correct wormer for that type of worm. Since you mentioned feeding Kaleesi banana leaves, have you sprayed any of the vegetation you are feeding with herbicide or bug killer? Or have your neighbors sprayed since the wind can carry the spray into other locations.

Latest posts