Urgent Question about queen cage orientation

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I re queened 2 hives today. I think I may have discovered my problem. I put the queen cages in candy side down parallel to the frames instead of perpendicular. My frames are drawn, and I'm worried that the bees will have enough room to attend the queens. Can I go in and change it ASAP. I have had some queens not make it out of the cage, and now I'm thinking this may be why.

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sure, I'd go right back in and tend to it. If they weren't balling the cage, I'd just go ahead and let her out. Balling the bees are on the cage like velcro and arched, happy attendants are easily brushed aside w your finger.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Actually, you did it correctly from my understanding in a Lang... The tab on the queen cage should be bent over the top of a center frame to hold the cage in pace hanging down between the frames, with the candy plug down and the screen NOT facing either frame, it has to be accessible. Some like to just lay the cage across the top of the frames... Other like to place on the floor either in the back below the frames or in the front with the candy plug inside. I don't know that there's a true "right or wrong" way as long as the workers and attendants can get to the screen front of the cage as well as access the candy to chew it out. Her pheromones are going to be inside the hive as long as the cage is inside the hive.

As Dad said, if you feel you need/want to go back in & change it up, by all means do so.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It was told to me to put the cage mostly parallel to the bottom board. Tilt the candy end down slightly. This way if the candy melts (liquifies) it doesn't kill the queen.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I changed them. I'm going to check them tomorrow. :fl Those queens are $$ to overnight.

Latest posts