Used cooking oil in feed?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I couldn't find the right spot for this, so, admins, please move if necessary.

I will soon have 1 gallon of used soy cooking oil. I want to reuse it in animal feed, as there is nothing else I'd use it for.

I have dogs, cats, sheep, horses & chickens that it may be possible to feed it to.

If it is safe to feed them this, how much per animal? And how often can it be given; daily, weekly or?

How long can it sit n wait for in its jug in a cold place?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your questions but do have a question of my own.
"What attribute do you think used soy cooking oil will bring to your current feed protocol?"
It will increase available energy via dietary fat, but is there something else you seek? Enhance breeding capabilities?
Maybe a few answers for you here:
http://www.angusbeefbulletin.com/articlepdf/0301abb_feedingfat.pdf

I do know that USDA has 'some' restrictions regarding the feeding of animal fats to cattle, including animal fats that may be present in used veg derived cooking oil.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nothing. I just don't want to toss it in the trash.
Well, I'd like to say "Probably won't hurt them" but as I said, I just don't know. It's common for veg oil to be in feed, but considering it is used and not re-claimed like the feed companies do, I just don't know. There has been some concern regarding prions being present in recycled cooking oil (you probably already know prions aren't easily destroyed by heat...you can't 'kill' what isn't alive) and for that reason, animal products aren't supposed to be in any cattle feed since the first BSE outbreak. Cook a chicken fried steak in veg oil, there will be bits of the meat byproducts remaining in the oil.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't cook my food in soy oil to start with. No offense, but I wouldn't give it to my animals either.

Yeah, they hid it in tiny letters on the back...100% vegetable oil in massive, colorful letters on front...should of known. I wasn't happy when I saw that. Checked the bottle DH bought, different brand, but also soy... Knew for sheep it was a no-go after that.

It's been used for fries only, so far. Far better than any restaurant or fast food joint!

I've used clean cooking oil on door hinges, have no interest in the housepets slobbering around the edges and getting smushed because of used oil...