Using Barn Lime on Pig toilet area?

Jea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My pigs are big now, and they make a lot of manure. Plus, they urinate so much that it's a mucky mess and hard to just shovel up and bring to a compost area more than once per week.

I was thinking of sprinkling barn lime on the area throughout the week to reduce the odor until we can get to it.

Is that a bad idea? Any issues with using ag lime or barn lime with pigs?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My pigs are big now, and they make a lot of manure. Plus, they urinate so much that it's a mucky mess and hard to just shovel up and bring to a compost area more than once per week.

I was thinking of sprinkling barn lime on the area throughout the week to reduce the odor until we can get to it.

Is that a bad idea? Any issues with using ag lime or barn lime with pigs?
From what I understand, barn lime is not that caustic... so shouldn't burn them if they touch it...

And yes, it should help the smell.

Stall dry probably costs more... but I know that works well.

I think a bit of stove ash can also help.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you add more straw, leaves, pine shavings or other organic matter? Adding the lime will certainly help, the organic matter will help absorb the wet. Plus the organic matter will compost nicely. Of course, it adds to the digging and shoveling, you might want to add it at the compost pile.

How many pigs do you have, what breed?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Barn lime is 100% safe for pigs. It's just crushed limestone but i am afraid it doesnt have much of a drying affect unless it is in very large quantities. So for helping to dry things no, for smell totally works great. We use barn lime every time we clean our pig barn and in between if it is getting funky or a lot of flies. FYI works great in chicken coops or duck yards too.

Alasgun

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you gotta smell it, pig manure was always my favorite! However some wouldn’t agree with that. It’s been many years since we had any hogs but nowdays when i want an odor neutralizer i use lacto bacillus serum!
I have no experience at the pig level but when the compost is fresh turned or on the rabbit poop buckets, lacto always doe’s the job. It’s easy to make and use, has lots of other uses around the place and might be worth a look.
plug making lacto serum into a search engine and hold on, info abounds! Much of which even has nice pictures for those of us not much brighter’n a fifth grader👍

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you gotta smell it, pig manure was always my favorite! However some wouldn’t agree with that. It’s been many years since we had any hogs but nowdays when i want an odor neutralizer i use lacto bacillus serum!
I have no experience at the pig level but when the compost is fresh turned or on the rabbit poop buckets, lacto always doe’s the job. It’s easy to make and use, has lots of other uses around the place and might be worth a look.
plug making lacto serum into a search engine and hold on, info abounds! Much of which even has nice pictures for those of us not much brighter’n a fifth grader👍

thanks for the info, I will have to look into the lacto, does it work in freezing or sub-freezing weather? We always used barn lime cause we can get 40lbs bags for $4.50.....I also live an hour from the largest limestone quarry in the world so not like it is making a long trip :lol: