Using pigs to clear brush

Jea

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We live on a heavily wooded and wild acres. We thought the goats would be good with brush clearing but ours never like to leave their yard and if we can get them over to the brush they just stand there. We were thinking that pigs might do well, but can you put them in a temporary pen in a brushy area and let them graze there? I know they're tough on fences.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I put pigs in a pasture and they did a fair bit of rooting. They didn’t clear the brush, saplings or masses of green briars. The Sheep did a better job of that than the Pigs.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to fence your goats into the brush area and stop feeding them alternate feed. That's about the only way you'll get that cleared. Bay's right....pigs will do a lot for a wood lot but they can't clear the brush for you.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here is a thread on my continuing journey to making pastures. Our best friend has been a sharp machete. We have half a dozen of them, I sharpened them up before we hit the green briars. Next to the machetes, is our other best friend, the chainsaw.

My hair sheep are good at eating weeds, brush, briars and tree limbs and tops. We always let the sheep clean them up before hauling to the burn pile. We are finally whipping this place into good shape, pastures are taking shape and looking good.

JimLad

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi Jea: I'm new to goats, have half a dozen with the oldest two being one year old. We have similar properties and I agree with Beekissed. After only a month or so with me, these guys have lost all interest in hay. They get a tin of goat text in the evening as well as occassional alfalfa pellets and a small dose of black oil sunflower seeds.
They are locked in at night so I leave a continuous supply of Timothy/Alfalfa cubes. Dry.
I'm retired so while I slowly work on the fencing, I take a picnic chair to various spots and just sit with them.
I'm sure if you don't buy hay they will do as mine did.
Also, they seem to learn from each other and you will see a daily improvement in their browsing skills.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We live on a heavily wooded and wild acres. We thought the goats would be good with brush clearing but ours never like to leave their yard and if we can get them over to the brush they just stand there. We were thinking that pigs might do well, but can you put them in a temporary pen in a brushy area and let them graze there? I know they're tough on fences.
The ability of pigs to clear ground though makes it possible to clear more area and have more fenced off areas in the future. Many people let pigs loose in wooded property and they do quite well.

Latest posts