Using sheep as lawn mowers

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
A lawn that has a wall for edges would be nicely eaten by sheep....but if there's anything around the border, they'll eat it. I let my sheep into what I laughingly call our orchard (a few fruit trees in a lawn). They did a great job on the grass, but bit the bark of a plum and an apple so badly that the trees died.

My sheep got into my excuse for a flower garden.....they ate the rose bushes off and trampled just about everything else.

My sheep jumped the fence to my vegetable garden.....ate the strawberry plants, beans,peas, pumpkins, cabbages, cauliflowers and fruit bushes. Oh well, they don't like courgettes or potato tops.

Somebody should now be telling me I need to learn to shut gates and have decent fences.....I know, I know......pity I didn't think about that earlier.

So, sheep as lawnmowers?....I'd go for the lawnmower.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A lawn that has a wall for edges would be nicely eaten by sheep....but if there's anything around the border, they'll eat it. I let my sheep into what I laughingly call our orchard (a few fruit trees in a lawn). They did a great job on the grass, but bit the bark of a plum and an apple so badly that the trees died.

My sheep got into my excuse for a flower garden.....they ate the rose bushes off and trampled just about everything else.

My sheep jumped the fence to my vegetable garden.....ate the strawberry plants, beans,peas, pumpkins, cabbages, cauliflowers and fruit bushes. Oh well, they don't like courgettes or potato tops.

Somebody should now be telling me I need to learn to shut gates and have decent fences.....I know, I know......pity I didn't think about that earlier.

So, sheep as lawnmowers?....I'd go for the lawnmower.
Now that the sheep have done wonderful job of the greenery on top of the soil, next turn a bunch of pigs loose there and they will root up and eat any weed roots and lawn grubs out there. The area will now be well fertilized and ready for you to level the area and plant a lush new lawn. Win win !

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am also wondering if a certain breed would be better. I'm looking at getting Icelandic, Shetland, and Jacob.

If those are the breeds you are interested in, my vote is for the Shetland! Fun little sheep that come in lots of colors and patterns. If you take the time with them, they can become pocket sheep and enjoy attention. I've got a variety in my flock. Some are standoffish, but once caught are friendly and others that follow you around and crawl in your lap. Mine are easy to handle because I halter train them AND they are trained to follow a bucket of grain.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now that the sheep have done wonderful job of the greenery on top of the soil, next turn a bunch of pigs loose there and they will root up and eat any weed roots and lawn grubs out there. The area will now be well fertilized and ready for you to level the area and plant a lush new lawn. Win win !

This might work for you, too!
But get a real(anything but mini) pig or two to turn the dirt and then butcher them for bacon!
My pigs are mixed with mini pigs and they suuuuck at turning dry dirt. If it rains, awesome holes! But otherwise, they just mow down the grass. =/

Strongly fence off what you do not want eaten and the road.
My sheep ate half my corn this year. Fence was good, but I put rams in there and I forgot how they use their weight to shove things over...lol