Using tractors this year?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last year we used rabbit tractors, and sadly, lost a bunch of bunnies. We wormed them, I treated them for GI Stasis...we took five to the vet...most of those died. All she said to do was keep deworming. We use Albon. Chris and I are on full lockdown with the bunnies now! I now have really expanded my rabbits, and we have 7 breeds. We have a lot of rabbits. They lovvved the tractors. But we do NOT want to lose one bunny!! I just read the other thread, one second ago, and the6 are losing kits, PA said to use corid....was THAT it all this darned time? If so, I could wring my vet’s neck?! If that’s it.....what about bunnies you sell? Do they need corid water?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Corid(aka Amprol)
Corid is a coccidiastat.

Treats: parasitic eradication for Coccidiosis (aka Coccidia)

Dose 1: prevent: mix 1teaspoon per gallon water; give as drinking water – 5 days on / 5 off / 5 on

Dose 2: treat: mix as directed above, give for 21 consecutive days

Albon is good too generally. I do preventative doses spring and fall, and any weaned kits.

@Duckfarmerpa1 please read the thread I posted about RHVD you may rethink letting rabbits on the ground. :confused:

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I read that thread...it freaked me out!! I’m trying what to put on my fb page for all the people who bought bunnies....should I tell these people about THAT? It will surely cause a panic!! I told everyone to limit ground time, only on very dry days, etc..,must deworm! I’m going back on tonight...and I have everyone who bought a bunny in my contact list, to call. I’ve asked other breeders...out here, just one last night..most don’t even deworm...they don’t put them on the ground at all. I want the best of ALL the worlds! I want happy bunnies, that I happen to breed...that are very healthy! I’m REALLY enjoying learning about the genes, even though it’s very hard to comprehend? But, it will break my heart if I put all this work into all these bunnies, like last year...but times three...and lose so many..again! We are definitely not putting them on the ground..but I need to know what to tell my happy buyers..without freaking them out! And, making them feel like I betrayed them by saying a little yard fun would be ok.... Plus, I was talking with the other breeder last night..he and I both, noticed, that, around 4-6 weeks...a bunch of kits...unrelated..but by same hutches, would come up with sloshey tummies...gel bumm... He never put them on the ground. I blame it on the ground. Any ideas?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, in theory, there might be a cool time needed between how soon you pass over the same spot with the grass tractor a second, or third time after the first time. This could be because their feces may still have unsettled parasites in it. How big is the land space you have to work with for your rabbitry? If you have more space then we can help you suggest trying more things.

And its very possible also that have had bunnies in them that got sick were in the same spot too long.

So the research question to ask would be if rinsing that part of the ground thoroughly with water would help rinse away the parasites you are referring to quicker, and accelerate ground heal time?

And you didn't used to hear about people talking about stuff like this years ago. But now everyone has much smaller yards than they used to. And you hear about people with more illnesses in rabbits and poultry than you used to now.

There could be a connection between the two points there.

You could also think about what you can use on the ground to kill coccidia but not harm the grass, or the organisms in it.

Parasites lay their eggs in cysts that can endure a lot of hardship and this adds to your dilemma also.

You could try washing their bowls/eating trays with a higher frequency than before. (I'm not saying you weren't already doing this. But you have to try some things. And if you do your own things, that's less vet expenses.) You can try sterilizing your equipment more often also for things that you can do it with.

You could also put more space between cages. This means basically instead of having all the bunnies in one spot to space them out from each other a bit. (I think this particular item will help, but its not a cure.)

What about the water source you are using? Is it outside water, or potable water from inside?

Take steps to make sure your rabbits can't eat their own feces also. (Sorry to say that.)

And I don't think you have to go track down all those people. They have responsibility now for their own rabbits. But if you are worried about it, you could keep a few freebie rabbits on the side in holding for in case someone claims a death and then you can replace it (IF you think you contributed to it getting sick).

Last edited: