vaccinations?

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am not sure if I should have made this thread in the illness tab or not or if there is already a thread like this, but I have to ask. What vaccinations does everyone recommend giving goats and also at what age should they be given. I have two very young pygmy goats that I plan on breeding when they are older and really wont to cross all my T's and dot all my I's to make them happy and healthy. :frow

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Many folks have differing opinions on vaccinations... I go with a "minimalist" view and vaccinate adults with CD&T annually. I do the kids CD&T at ~5-6 weeks then again 4-5 weeks later. If a doe is pregnant, the CD&T should be given ~3-4 weeks prior to kidding so the doe passes some of the benefits on to the kid(s). here's a link: http://articles.extension.org/pages/27116/goat-vaccination-program

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
thanks guys I have looked online at different websites and they all say something different I even read somewhere that they should get annual rabies shots have you guys heard that or was some one just giving out false info?

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have heard talk of rabies shots but not familiar with it- maybe this would be a question for your vet. Finding a knowledgeable goat vet is an important thing!

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Scrapie vax and ear tag is mandatory in Fl. The dept of agriculture surprise inspected us. All Fl. Goats must be vax and tagged to keep track of point of origin. All breeders are required to register their flock. We don't sell our offspring. But we would be hassled if we removed our goats off of our property.
Our first 4 goats we started with, many moons ago, all had registration ear tags.
IMG_20170801_221002.jpg

This particular tag I removed from miss Shelia. The other herd members always chew at each others tags. I don't tag for that reason.​
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Div...ustry/Goats-Sheep-Small-Ruminants/Scrapie-FAQ
I don't know what policies are implemented in your neck of the woods. As far as other vax, we don't inject nothing unless push comes to shove. As long as we don't expose our flock to outside diseased animals, we don't pump chemicals into their bloodstream. Our opinion and policy. Please don't take offence.
ALL LOCAL FARM SWAPS WILL NOT LET YOU DISPLAY YOUR GOATS WITHOUT DOCUMENTATION AS WELL.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Scrapies tags are required here if the goats are sold at auction. They do not have to be in the ear, they can be on a collar. as not all goats have ears.

Latest posts