Vaccine & medicine Question

MrsCountryChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was asked if C&D Antitoxin can be given with a general antibotic? I didn't know what to say. Clearly the C&D Antitoxin is an immediate treatment & so is the injectable antibotic, they're from 2 different family's so????? I'm no expert. :rolleyes: :idunno

That is what you'd give to an unvaccinated animal with a suspected sickness right?..C&D Antitoxin & antibotic I mean?

On I thought of another question: how long after you give the antitoxin can you give the CDT regular yearly vaccine? and be confident the CDT yearly vaccine will take effect for the animal?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
For a llama, I wouldn't give both at the same time. Do you know that it is a colostridial problem? I think there is a higher risk for a reaction. If the llama has an infection, I would treat with the antibiotics and then if they haven't been vaccinated, then after they are off the antibiotics, I would give them a CDT shot.

Basically, you could give C&D antitoxin with the antibiotic but you are risking having a reaction. If there is a possibility of a clostridial problem then you may have to take your chances and go ahead and give it. To be honest, I have never used the antitoxin on an alpaca or llama in all the years that I have owned them.

MrsCountryChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They ended up just giving the antibiotic & did decide to follow up with the CDT vaccine after. Thanks for your info tho. :)

I heard of someone who by vet suggestion gives the cria after birth a tetanus antitoxin and/or Vitamin A & D..........I was at first thinking it was the A&D antitoxin.....here it's the tetanus antitoxin. Then they follow up at 2 to 3 months for the cria with a CDT vaccination & a 5-way Leptospirosis vaccine along with a rabies vaccination....They even give West Nile vaccine to their heard too. Not sure how regularly or if it's to everyone. They said it's safe for crias 3months+ in age & safe for pregnant females too. :ep That's alot of vaccines, but it's all preventative for their health, who doesn't want that I guess. ;) :)

Latest posts