vaccines

Kathy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My goat had triplets and they are now 2 1/2 weeks old. What is the vaccine schedule for kids?

Thanks
Kathy

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If your goats (sheep) are current on their vaccinations, the babies will have some temporary immunity. We vaccinate our sheep (and goats) with CDT. We give 2 doses 30 days apart. Since we have sheep and dock the lambs' tails with bands, we need to vaccinate them with tetanus antitoxin as well. The antitoxin gives immediate protection while the CDT takes effect in about a week. We dock any time from 3 days to 1 week old depending on the size of the lamb. When we dock the lambs we give a vaccination of tetanus antitoxin AND the first CDT shot. 30 days later we give the second CDT shot. By the time we tag and castrate the CDT shot is in effect. We vaccinate in the groin to avoid lumps or swellings. Our mature animals get one vaccination once a year - the dose is the same for mature animals or babies. We do not vaccinate for anything else.

Because we live in a very dry and hot area, we seldom have to worm. I will worm my sheep this year because we have had so much rain and they are out on forage. I do keep injectable antibiotics on hand, along with Vitamin B complex, and pepto bismal in the animal variety (gallon size pink medicine for upset stomach or scours), etc. My kidding box has everything I could conceivably need for emergencies. I also keep at least one tube of charcoal for poisoning, mastitis tubes*, electrolytes, and probiotics in the fridge since I like to be prepared. I have several gallons of Iodine udder wash concentrate which I make up and use as a spray or wash for injuries. I keep a pink eye puffer but have always found that using cheap red wine as an eye wash has worked well, along with an antibiotic injection. Our goats used to get pink eye every year after L.A. County Fair. Possibly from the weather - hot, dry and windy. They never got pinkeye any other time or from any other show. I keep a complete medicine chest including splints, scalpels, sutures, stomach tube, etc. since we don't have a small livestock vet. I like to be prepared since when an emergency happens I don't have time to get an order from Jeffers or run to the store! LOL Ever notice how emergencies happen right after the vet closes so you have to pay for an after hours emergency call, the feed store is closed. and you used your last syringe vaccinating and your replacement order has not arrived?

*I keep the Today mastitis tubes now for my Anatolians. If they fight, play roughly, or tangle with a predator and get puncture wounds, I wash the puncture thoroughly and then use the mastitis tube to squirt the Today antibiotic into the puncture. It heals right up with no infection! If I have a ewe with mastitis I use them too, but mainly I use them for the dogs.