Vacuum Sealer Recommendations

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Love my food saver. It's amazing how much food you don't have to throw away due to freezer burn. Just love it.

Chris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We had a food saver vacuum sealer for some time but had problems with is sucking all the juices out of the meat and not sealing good so we just when't back to the "old fashion" way and we wrap with Freezer Paper.

I'm thinking about trying one of the chamber type vacuum sealers but just don't want to fork out the 2000.00 on one.

Chris

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've tried both the Food Saver and he Seal-a-meal. Both are junk. Ran into a million problems with them, everything from the "hot strip" having a bulge in it and not sealing, to bags being to expensive, to food being too juicy, you name it. I finally gave up trying to seal my food. :( :hit

Kotori

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Has anyone tried canning? If you have, which one do you recommend?

My area tends to have one or two power losses a year for several days, so I don't want a loaded freezer :/

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Kotori said:

My area tends to have one or two power losses a year for several days, so I don't want a loaded freezer :/

I can. I do water-bath for 'safe' things like jam, I use a pressure cooker for everything else.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can vegs and some fruits but not meat.

(a year of living on C-rations cured me from ever wanting to open a can of "meat" again.
"pork with juices"--yeah right, sure it was)
;) :lol:

Buy the best pressure cooker you can afford--and one tall enough to do quarts if there are more than 2 people in your family.
It does take a lot longer to process with a canner than it does with freezing, but ya don't have to worry about power failures, or your freezer going out and ya not notice till a week or 2 later.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
x 2 on the getting one big enough to do quarts--you can can broths, too. Probably I'm the last one on 'the block' to know this, but if you are bagging for freezing, fill a 5 gallon bucket with cold water, bag your item and submerge it almost to the top to get the air out. I use ziplock, seal it almost across the top so there's only an inch opening, then force the air out. You want to keep your water clean just in case you over dunk. It REALLY reduced our freezer burn on chicken.

larryj57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
greybeard said:
I can vegs and some fruits but not meat.

(a year of living on C-rations cured me from ever wanting to open a can of "meat" again.
"pork with juices"--yeah right, sure it was)
;) :lol:

Buy the best pressure cooker you can afford--and one tall enough to do quarts if there are more than 2 people in your family.
It does take a lot longer to process with a canner than it does with freezing, but ya don't have to worry about power failures, or your freezer going out and ya not notice till a week or 2 later.
I'm with you on the C ration canned meat, remember" Beef with spiced sauce" we use a food saver here with great results for Vegtables and meat Pork, Goat and about to try it on beef .

Janiel

Just born
Reaction score
I can. I do water-bath for 'safe' things like jam, I use a pressure cooker for everything else.

I have a pressure canner and have canned venison, chicken, beef for beef stew, rabbit, ham and hot sausage. They all turned our great and are a wonderful time saver

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use a Food Saver. For the juicy stuff, I freeze the filled bags, then vacuum seal the next day. I also can lots of stuff, including broth and chicken meat.

Latest posts