1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: I'm woolin' it!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Vaginal bleeding

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by MsEMcD, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Jan 9, 2017
    MsEMcD

MsEMcD Herd lurker

i have a 6 year old doe who is bleeding from her vagina. She has a larger whether companion. She was like this in Aug and now again. She's eating drinking and acting fine. Any ideas?

2. Jan 10, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

3. Jan 10, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

I really don't have any ideas other than I would be concerned. Goats do not normally have bloody discharge while in heat so I doubt that that is the problem. I take it that there is no way she is bred? Does the wether ever try and mount her? Sorry that I don't have a good answer for you.

4. Jan 10, 2017
    MsEMcD

MsEMcD Herd lurker

Thanks for the quick responses. She's a myotonic. Our wether is a good bit bigger than she is and they've been together since we got her. 4years ago she had babies on New Year's Day so I wondered if it was cyclical in nature.

5. Jan 10, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

I'd certainly check her temp.

Many years ago I knew some folks who had a wreck on the way to a goat show - they were rear ended and one of their does came off the trailer with a bloody vaginal discharge. Show vet gloved up and did a quick vaginal sweep and came up with no real answers. His advice - wait and see. UGH. But, there really wasn't any other choice BUT to wait and see...doe ended up being fine and delivered healthy kids several months later. But, they might have just gotten lucky.

Couple things running through my head...

Has she ever kidded? The uterus can keep a low grade infection going for a long time with no other symptoms.

Common belief is that goats do NOT have a bloody discharge during heat - but I guess there could be the odd one that does...

Just tossing some things out there. Hopefully since your gal 'seems' to be ok - I hope she truly is!

6. Jan 10, 2017
    Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Herd Master

x2