VD questions, treating kits

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Late to the thread (I earned the handle). Sorry about Winston :(.

Were it me... I'd take a small 1 gallon pressure sprayer (like used for spraying herbicides/pesticides in gardens and such), fill it with 100% bleach and soak/spray every reachable part of the cages, inside and out, let set for at least 15 minutes, then rinse with water. The bleach should kill anything and the water will rinse it away to alleviate burning the buns feet and eliminate the fumes associated. If you can take the cages out into the sun when doing this, so much the better. Alternately, if you have a large enough "tub" you could put the bleach in and then dip each section of the cages to ensure all parts get dipped... Just what I'd do.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are concerned about bleach, you could use either of these products: DC&R or chlorhexidine.

I have both, the DC&R you can get at Tractor Supply and it probably kills everything nasty, and it is about $25.00 for a gallon. You use 1 oz to a gallon of water.

The chlorhexidine you may possibly get at Tractor, don't know for sure, but you should be able to get it at a feed store that caters to dairy as it is also used as a teat dip. My vet recommended the chlorhexidine as they use it everywhere, kennels, floors, exam tables, hands. Neither product produces much odor beyond just a clean smell. Santa Cruz Animal Health has it for $11.00 a gallon... http://www.scahealth.com/chlorhexidine-solution.html. They are good people, and shipping is free on order of $50 or more. They don't charge you extra freight for heavy items, if the total order is $50 or more, the shipping is free, period.

You can either sponge your cages with either product dilution, or put the dilution in a sprayer. Once the product is dry I don't think you need to rinse.

Hope that gives you some options.

Last edited:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
THANKS! I forgot about chlorhexdine! With the cold I can't do a super great cleaning.

If you are concerned about bleach, you could use either of these products: DC&R or chlorhexidine.

I have both, the DC&R you can get at Tractor Supply and it probably kills everything nasty, and it is about $25.00 for a gallon. You use 1 oz to a gallon of water.

The chlorhexidine you may possibly get at Tractor, don't know for sure, but you should be able to get it at a feed store that caters to dairy as it is also used as a teat dip. My vet recommended the chlorhexidine as they use it everywhere, kennels, floors, exam tables, hands. Neither product produces much odor beyond just a clean smell. Santa Cruz Animal Health has it for $11.00 a gallon... http://www.scahealth.com/chlorhexidine-solution.html. They are good people, and shipping is free on order of $50 or more. They don't charge you extra freight for heavy items, if the total order is $50 or more, the shipping is free, period.

You can either sponge your cages with either product dilution, or put the dilution in a sprayer. Once the product is dry I don't you need to rinse.

Hope that gives you some options.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on treating the young kits? My black doe still has scabs though she got 3 injection, so will be retreating everyone, but kits are not quite 3 weeks old. Tempted to start treatment when kits are 4 weeks while they are nursing still. Have seen some reccomendations to wait until they are weaned... but nothing clear on how old. Obviously I want to give them the best chance at survival now they are thriving.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
FYI got the vent disease cleared up by March 1st, lost 1 young 4 week old bunny but all others survived. Got 3 litters in May without problems.