Veggies and fruit

Brownie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I got a new bunny the other day and the only thing she eats is hay I tried to give her fruit and she won't eat it Same with veggies and pellets and I don't know how to get her to eat them if someone could help that would be amazing i am worried about her nutrition

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I got a new bunny the other day and the only thing she eats is hay I tried to give her fruit and she won't eat it Same with veggies and pellets and I don't know how to get her to eat them if someone could help that would be amazing i am worried about her nutrition
Hay is the most important thing in a rabbits diet. Fruits and veggies should only be fed as treats in moderation.

Some rabbits who have been raised on only pellets and hay will reject fresh food. These rabbits have not development the proper bacteria in their stomachs to digest fresh food anyway, so it should be introduced very slowly. If you keep trying they will usually catch on eventually, but some never do. I have a Polish doe that I've had four months who will touch nothing fresh besides twigs and bark from willow or apple twigs.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's normal for rabbits to just want hay...hay should make up 70-80% of a rabbits' diet and pellets the rest with fresh veggies only fed occasionally. My rabbits eat 17% protein pellets and have hay all the time. I never feed mine fruits/veggies...mostly because they won't eat them. Also, babies under 6 months should never have fruits/veggies. They can get diarrhea from the high water content and can die real quick.
I will pick dandelion greens and plantain from the yard and give that to my nursing does in the spring/summer and they do like that :)

Brownie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hay is the most important thing in a rabbits diet. Fruits and veggies should only be fed as treats in moderation.

Some rabbits who have been raised on only pellets and hay will reject fresh food. These rabbits have not development the proper bacteria in their stomachs to digest fresh food anyway, so it should be introduced very slowly. If you keep trying they will usually catch on eventually, but some never do. I have a Polish doe that I've had four months who will touch nothing fresh besides twigs and bark from willow or apple twigs.

Okay that makes since but she won't eat pellets either so I'm worried about her nutrition if she won't eat pellets either

Brownie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's normal for rabbits to just want hay...hay should make up 70-80% of a rabbits' diet and pellets the rest with fresh veggies only fed occasionally. My rabbits eat 17% protein pellets and have hay all the time. I never feed mine fruits/veggies...mostly because they won't eat them. Also, babies under 6 months should never have fruits/veggies. They can get diarrhea from the high water content and can die real quick.
I will pick dandelion greens and plantain from the yard and give that to my nursing does in the spring/summer and they do like that :)

I give my rabbits weeds from my yard and they always eat it but she won't so im glad to now that is okay and I do research on the greens before I give them any

Latest posts