Very aggressive doe

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a NZ who has been growling and jumping at me
every time I pass her cage. Today I managed to breed her once.
When I went back to re breed her she bit me in the palm.
I am thinking of culling her after she kindles if she gets pregnant.
Any thoughts ??

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yep. That's what I was thinking. I will wait to see if she is pregs.
I can't believe that she is that aggressive.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had one go that way. I was going to cull her but someone baught her for a breeder.
They are putting it thru alot of handling and say she is much better.
One never knows I guess

rellikmalinois

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have one like this also! when I purchased her the previous owner showed her to me, put her in a box and I took her home. Now she attacks when I feed her or try to clean her cage. I have bred her and figured id see how she was as a mother(im only breeding for meat not pets) and if shes not a good mom its off to freezer camp for her!

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We had one that was aggressive. Emphasis on HAD. We saw this in NZ does a few times, but never in our Am Chins.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine eventually calm down, no reason to eat them just because you aren't willing to take the time in calming them. Being aggressive after breeding is normal and if all you do when you take out a doe to breed, the more reason for her not to like you. Unless you have a large setup with a lot of rabbits, I wouldn't eat her just for some aggression.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It does depend on the specifics. If the doe is always aggressive, we won't keep her. If it is isolated to right after having a litter, we will. But we have 10 breeding does and this point and some are always on their way out.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If she is attacking you, I would not consider keeping her. After she weans the kits and her attitude has not changed I would advise sending her to freezer camp, even if she were a good mother. Use her cage for another good mother that DOESN'T bite. If she is new and you haven't had her long, wait to see how she changes after having her litter. I had one that growled and thumped her feet at me every time I went by her cage, or cleaned it (she never bit me though) and I was planning on culling her after she kindled and weaned her litter but she really tamed down by then. She is now just as sweet as the other does. Unfortunately she is still stuck with her name, Hillary. ;)

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She had a litter. She is mean with or without a litter. I am going to keep one or two does from that litter, and send her to freezer camp.
The babies are about 7 weeks old now and have been weaned for a while. I am just waiting for my first set of blues to get to processing age/weight.
Then she is going to go with them.