Very aggressive doe

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have two rabbit sisters that will get pretty nasty when they have kits. They will jump at us for the first month trying to claw us. I use a plastic pitcher at times to block them. LOL But, once the kits are about a month old they chill out a bit. I keep them as they are great mothers and give me 10-12 kits every time. I do not keep does from those two though, as you can tell who the does are by the time they are six weeks old. In other words............... the does are growling at us, by that age. I have never had any problems with the bucks though.
But, I do understand having them for dinner. I have culled one American blue for that, as they are not at all supposed to be aggressive.

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ive not had any aggressive problems like this but im afraid in my rabbitry their isn't enough room for a rabbit im afraid of.

happy acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have one like this. I don't know if she's just territorial or what. Thus far she's been a good mother, but she's bitten me twice! I think as soon as her kits are weaned it's off to freezer camp for her! The kits are about two weeks old now.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
IMHO, dinner is not worth being bit... I would look for a doe with a milder temperament, and send the nasty ones to freezer camp. Do you have a doe with a good temperament? If so, keep an eye on her daughters and replace the mean ones with them. I had a doe that would growl and scratch me. She made a great rabbit stew. And my big ol' love bunny doe now has two daughters working along side her, and they are just as sweet as she is.

Farmer Jenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Had two really nasty does that were sisters Dutch dwarf breed once. Growled, bit , everything. Had to feed them with heavy duty industrialized rubber gloves or would have been bit constantly. I agree, send them to freezer camp. Don't pass that trait along to another generation.