Very bizarre breeding experience. Please help.

Madison Harrison

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My husband and I just bought 2 American Chinchilla rabbits from a breeder in Colorado for $110 on Saturday. The buck (Gandalf) is over a year old and proven. The doe (Jessica) is 8 months old and unproven, or so we were told. We brought them back to the Texas panhandle and tried to breed her on Sunday, she refused to lift for him, we chalked it up to cold weather and stress from moving. I asked the previous owners if they’d ever tried to breed before and they said once but it didn’t work, she kept running away from the buck. On Thursday it was almost 80 degrees and they were getting settled in so I thought she might be a little more receptive and we had 3 successful fall-offs. Now it’s Friday and I just got home from work and in Jessica’s cage I found a single newborn baby rabbit missing it’s back half and still breathing. I quickly dispatched the poor thing and gave her a nesting box thinking maybe she just wasn’t prepared and a few hours later we heard little squeal and found another baby rabbit had been born in the middle of the cage. We placed that baby in the nesting box and for now it’s still alive but she hasn’t paid enough attention to it to even clean the poor thing off. I emailed the previous owner again and this is the response I got:
It’s been close to two months. I don’t think I have the date still as her sister’s litter didn’t make it. So I think I deleted all the dates. She had to have delayed implantation.

What is happening. What is the likelihood of her successfully having another litter? What is the likelyhood she’s pregnant from Thursday? And will that litter make it if she is? I’ve only ever had really good mother rabbits so this is totally new territory for me and I’m super stressed out.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hard to answer all those questions....there is such a thing as delayed implementation but with someone else involved and deleting the dates....:confused: I would question the dates.
Hopefully it's just first time jitters and stress of the move. Hopefully next time she'll be better. I would prepare for a litter 31 days from Thursday in any case.

Latest posts